Fuse protection

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
BCS Portland

Fuse protection

Post by BCS Portland »

Since my initial build I realized that all my stuff was crammed into a small box that has no room for expansion or when I need to troubleshoot I am sticking my hands into a rats nest of wires. After doing some reading on the HBT forum I realized that by feeding power into my box from 12 gauge wire I was risking the smaller feeds such as the March pumps & BCS controller if they are not individually protected by fuses.

So my questions are -

1. Is this the proper way to go in a rebuild? inline fuses?
2. What size fuse should I put in front of the BCS?
3. What size for the pumps?

I noted from the HBT posts that the OP suggested .25 amp for a PID and 1.75 amps for March pumps!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/electri ... rs-145019/

Any ideas?

Thanks
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Re: Fuse protection

Post by gbrewer »

This is not electrical advice. It is purely how I have done it..... Electricty is very dangerous and can cause serious injury or even death....

I don't use any fuses in my system. My control box is very neatly wired and took many hours to complete. I do not expect any of my wires to become shorted and have put extra protection (shielding) on any week point. I expect the GFCI circuit breaker from the house to do the job if I have a short. If I did not have a GFCI breaker working at the house, I would have wired GFCI inline.