programming state question

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
dutchb
Bot?: No

programming state question

Post by dutchb »

Hey guys,
Could someone give me a hand with the programming of a state.
In a 40 minute period, i would like my pump to come on 3 times for 2 mins to circulate water in my HLT.
How would I set up the program to do this?

Any help would be appreciated,
thanks in advance!
Dutch
Rick

Re: programming state question

Post by Rick »

I just bought a BCS-462, and I'm a bit worried. I should have checked this forum, which is crickets. Do you know of anywhere else people talk about this product? Did everyone jump to a Rasberry Pi or something? It seems to be quite capable and I'll figure it out. Even the example wikis on the ECC website seem to be broken links. Good luck with your effort, didn't mean to hijack your question. Looks like we both joined very recently. Newbs unite! :D

Cheers,
Rick

BTW with what little I know you should look into the ladder logic section.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Dutch - You can accomplish this with two states.
In State 0, set your output for heating (temp controlled output) and set a timer with a countdown of say 10 minutes. Then enable an exit condition for the timer to exit to State 1 when the value is less than or equal to 0. In State 1, enable the heating output AND the pump output. Set a timer for 2 minutes and use an exit condition to jump back to timer 0.

In this scenario, your process will sit in a loop of heating and recirculating every 10 minutes. There are many variation to this you could do, but it kind of depends on how you are organizing your whole workflow.

Rick - there are always people here to answer questions that come up. I think you'll find that the reason for the quietness is that most people have questions in the beginning, but then once they are all setup and brewing, they tend to not come around much. This forum is about supporting the product and not really a general brewing forum, so there's not a lot of general chit-chat here. There might be a few "under construction" examples in the wiki, but there are also several documented examples there as well.

If you have specific questions about configurations, please ask.
dutchb

Post by dutchb »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the quick response.

Would it be easier to use just the pump output? Why would you use the a temp controlled output?
Im not sure if I would want to tie in heating and pumping into the same state. I'd like to have the pump on its own process if possible. Or does that complicate it?

Im just asking since im some-what new to programming states, my brain starts to hurt when trying to figure some of these process's out.
I've brewed about 10 batches on my BCS system and I really like it so far.

Rick - I use Homebrewtalk.com to for some of my electric brewing questions, But then again - this is my first time posting here and judging by the quick response I'd rather stick with this forum for the BCS questions. I've pretty much figured the system out on my own, and by reading the questions that have already been posted, I find most of the answers are in the forum or just from wiki.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Dutch, I'd assumed you were using the BCS to control the heating of the HLT. That's why I suggested two states - one for heat only and the other for heat/recirc.

You might want to outline more of how your workflow is organized to get better responses - I was just going by the limited information.

I personally would not break your heating & pumping of the HLT into two processes, but instead make them separate states of the same process. Again, I'm making assumptions with my limited knowledge of your system.

The whole process/state paradigm can be intimidating at first. Once you get it figured out, then it makes perfect sense, but it really is a learning experience.
dutchb

Post by dutchb »

Yes I am using the BCS to control the heating of the HLT.

I will try the first post you suggested tomorrow since im brewing a batch first thing in the a.m. and see how it goes.

what all info would you need to get a better idea of my work flow?

I have a single tier, 3 converted kegs system, 1 pump. I run everything off of the BCS. 4500w heating element in the HLT, and a 5500w in the boil. All have temp probes.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Well, way to step in it on my first post to a new forum. Sorry about that, I see there are 5 new members in the last few weeks as well. Dutch I'm Ricand over at HBT, good luck on your brew. Carry on gentlemen.