BCS-462 not refreshing using Firefox Windows 7 64bit

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
MaxOut
Bot?: No

BCS-462 not refreshing using Firefox Windows 7 64bit

Post by MaxOut »

During my last brew session I discovered a new problem where the screen locks up in Firefox. It is about 5-10 seconds and then it quits updating the screen. I have to manually refresh the page to get updated screens. The BCS continues to work and is not affected only the screen update. I recently installed a new update for Windows 7, 64 bit and Firefox I’m not sure if either could have had an impact. I'm thinking about trying it with Chrome or another browser to see if it is related to the browser or even possibly the Norton security software. I a not familiar with Firefox and only use it when monitoring the BCS so it may be something in the settings? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help.
MaxOut

Re: BCS-462 not refreshing using Firefox Windows 7 64bit

Post by MaxOut »

"UPDATE" problem solved. Got tired of trying to fix Firefox so I tried Google Chrome. Firefox has been problems since day one and does not like residing on a windows 7 64 bit machine. Had problems all the time with it crashing, locking up and just overall slow performance. The ONLY thing I used Firefox for was for accessing the BCS. Not sure exactly what the problem is with Firefox but I am sure glad I tried Google Chrome. Chrome works great without the refresh problem and is overall less glitchy than Firefox was. Timers, temp updates and page loads are much smoother and quicker. It’s Chrome for me from here on out for interfacing with the BCS. In the end I’m glad Firefox developed this glitch because I wouldn’t have tried Chrome. :D
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

It's interesting that you posted this. I was just talking about the refresh issues a couple of days ago with SamIam. My last brew day I had to also refresh manually a few times and sometimes I'd see my timers jump 5 or so seconds at a time. I've always used FF for the BCS because IE didn't work as well with it, but this is the first time I really had any issues. Seems like maybe it was the latest update that did it.
cscade

Post by cscade »

The BCS interface relies heavily on "polling" - updating the screen by asking the device a question each 1-2s - which can sometimes get stuck after periods of operation. Network conditions, operating system, browser in use, all can have an effect on the quality and durability of the connection. As you discovered, the device itself (and therefore your brewday) is unaffected, but it is still a bummer to have to refresh. We're focusing very closely on performance and durability both in the 3.7 release coming up soon and the 4.0 release coming later on down the road.

MaxOut - I'm really glad your experience with Chrome has been positive! I consider it to be the "gold standard" in browsers from a developer perspective, an find it very reliable. We test new versions of the BCS firmware on Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer, and of the 3 Chrome seems to be the smoothest.

JonW - Give Chrome a try if you haven't already - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
MaxOut

Post by MaxOut »

cscade - I installed Chrome a while ago with the intention of using it as my default browser but all my bookmarks where in IE and just used IE for convenience. I used Firefox solely for the BCS because it was recommended. Chrome was a pleasant surprise, the timers update as if they were real time and transitions through programming pages and process states are much quicker. With Firefox I would have to click win buttons or state buttons several times to get a response and sometimes would start and stop a state before the display updated. It was becoming frustrating. :? I hope I’m not getting my hopes up but Chrome has me impressed. :) Look forward to future upgrades to the software. I would love to have a way to overlay temp gauges over my background picture in the HMI builder instead of default across the top in the main screen. Thanks for the responses.
OneHoppyGuy

Post by OneHoppyGuy »

Try using Opera. It behaves the best of all I've tried.
MaxOut

Post by MaxOut »

JohnW - I agree. FF has been a problem for me for quite some time but only after the recent update did the refresh issue become a major PITA. I searched for a resolution but once I tried Chrome..Bye Bye FF.

OneHoppyGuy - I may try Opera and see how it performs since I'm switching anyway. Thanks
cscade

Post by cscade »

MaxOut wrote:... I would love to have a way to overlay temp gauges over my background picture in the HMI builder instead of default across the top in the main screen. Thanks for the responses.
Thanks for the input! Features like this are definitely under review for the 4.x releases. We are giving special consideration to users' ability to customize the UI, both with "built in" customization like you are describing, as well as providing better ways for complex interface replacements like what JonW has done to link into the system.
OneHoppyGuy wrote:Try using Opera. It behaves the best of all I've tried.
I'm glad you're having good results with Opera. It's not one of our officially supported browsers, but for most tasks it should work equally as well as Chrome.
mavantix

Post by mavantix »

Jumping on on this thread since it's sort of relavant:

I've always used Chrome with my BCS, and no trouble until a recent Chrome update. It seems the process buttons on the left "flicker" every refresh as they are redrawn or something. Previous Chrome versions didn't do this, I'm on v24.0.1312.57 and it is still happening. It was in the past couple months Chrome update that caused it. That or maybe flashing v3.60 firmware, but I really think it was Chrome and the same thing happened on v3.45 firmware as well. Don't know if it's something that others know a fix for or workaround?
cscade

Post by cscade »

@mavantix I have experienced what you're talking about in chrome. I have been able to alleviate it by closing the BCS control tab and clearing my cache in chrome settings. Try that for now, a long term fix is in the works.