Best Way To Access Two BCS's On The Same PC

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
MaxOut
Bot?: No

Best Way To Access Two BCS's On The Same PC

Post by MaxOut »

I am out of PID outputs on my BCS-462 and recently purchased another BCS-460 to dedicate to my new fermenters. Currently I access the BCS-462 locally via a crossover network cable connected directly to my PC. I want to use the same PC and UPS to access the new BCS-460. What would be the best way to accomplish this? My initial plan is to connect both BCS's to a hub, to the PC and assign the new one a different IP. This way I can open them in two windows using Chrome and monitor them at the same time. I would also like to consider wireless options if they are simple and effective. I have not needed to access the BCS remotely but planning allot of travel this year and would like to be able to monitor the fermenters while on travel. I like the dependability of the BCS directly wired to the PC but willing to switch to wireless if there is a good dependable option. Thanks in advance for your input. I am a novice at nework set up and really need advice.
brahn

Re: Best Way To Access Two BCS's On The Same PC

Post by brahn »

This is what I use for wireless access to the BCS. You would need one for each BCS that you want hooked up to the wireless:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001- ... B007CO5DZ4

It's worked very well for me, but I don't have any long running processes like fermentation running on my BCS yet.

Otherwise your solution with a hub/switch should work fine for local connections.
cscade

Post by cscade »

Wireless and dependable don't go hand in hand I'm afraid, especially if you're not physically there to reset things if it goes wonky.

Plugging both BCS units into a hub is the way to go. I fiddled with wireless bridges etc for years out of laziness, then I finally ran the wires I needed and I'll never look back. Hard wired is the way to go!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Why not just get a wireles router? It will have multiple ports to physically plug the BCS's into and then the laptop can access it wirelessly.

I run my BCS hardwired, but the laptop wirelessly. I really don't worry about it since the BCS controls things whether the wireless link is up or down.
MaxOut

Post by MaxOut »

cscade wrote:Wireless and dependable don't go hand in hand I'm afraid, especially if you're not physically there to reset things if it goes wonky.

Plugging both BCS units into a hub is the way to go. I fiddled with wireless bridges etc for years out of laziness, then I finally ran the wires I needed and I'll never look back. Hard wired is the way to go!
This has been my experience and why I have hesitated going wireless. I used to install home automation/security and avoided wireless like the plague. Nothing but trouble and service calls. I know technology has come a long way since then but I still like he KISS method "wires are more dependable than waves". I all ready have a dependable way to access my local network and desk top remotely so hardwiring the BCS is the way I'm leaning. I was just curious how everyone else is accessing theirs and if the are any new solutions that are dependable.

Has anyone tried accessing their BCS wired directly to a Android device via a USB-RJ-45 adapter? I am considering mounting the new BCS to my fermenter an use an Android touch screen mounted to the front as the interface.
MaxOut

Post by MaxOut »

I found a solution for $8.00 that has worked well so far. A USB-ethernet adapter. I changed the IP address on the new BCS and open it on another page. Simple easy and reliable. Cheaper than a switch and more dependable than wireless. Thanks again for the suggestions.