BCS-462 not responding

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Tork
Bot?: No

BCS-462 not responding

Post by Tork »

This is my first post. I have searched the forum for similar posts but did not find anything.
My brand new BCS-462 is connected to my Windows 7 laptop network port directly and I have tried the default address (169.254.0.63) with Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and IE and every time I get a time-out (not responding message). I have downloaded the BCSfinder utility and tried that but I get no reply using that either. One thing I did notice is that the green LED on the BCS-462 flashes whenever I hit the "Refresh" button in the BCSfinder utility. I have disabled my wireless network adapter, rebooted everything, and still not reply.

Is there anything else I should try before contacting ecc to get it exchanged? Heck, I even booted my laptop into Linux, thinking that it was a Windows problem, but still no reply. This should be a no-brainer to set up and it's frustrating when it doesn't work. I even connected the unit to my home network but that didn't work either.

Looking for suggestions and answers.

Tork
brahn

Re: BCS-462 not responding

Post by brahn »

The default for the BCS is to get an IP address over DHCP. It will wait for 1 minute for a DHCP address and only fail to the default address you listed after that minute has expired. By far the easiest way to work with the BCS is to use DHCP. Is there some reason that you don't want to use DHCP? When you were using the laptop to interact with it, did you assign an IP address in the 169.254.0.x subnet to the interface on your laptop?
Tork

Post by Tork »

I did not assign any IP address to the BCS. All I did was follow the directions given in the wiki document. I connected up the BCS to the laptop after power was applied to the BCS. I then open a browser and type in http://169.254.0.63 and waited while the browser tried to make contact but it timed out after about 30 seconds.
Is there a way to lengthen the time the browser allows before it times out?

Tork
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

What is the IP address on your laptop when you are trying to connect to the BCS? Issues connecting are almost always networking related.

As Brent stated, sometimes the easiest way to get things going is to use DHCP. I'd start by plugging your laptop into your router and getting a DHCP address and making sure you can hit the internet so that things are working on that end. Then plug the BCS into the router and restart it and use BCS Finder to locate it. From there you can hard-code IP addresses if you want to make things easier in the future.

You really need to do some basic networking troubleshooting and/or provide us more information before you can really know if you have a problem with the BCS unit.
Tork

Post by Tork »

I went back to my networked desktop computer and am connected to a D-Link DIR-655 Router and DGS-2205 switch. I have the BCS-462 connected to the 3rd switch position.
When I go to the router setup, it tells me that DHCP is enabled and the router address is 192.168.01 with a subnet mask of 255:255:255:0. The DHCP IP address range is 192.168.0.100-199.
I look at the list of dynamic DHCP clients but don't see anything that looks like the BCS in the list.
I am really clueless when it comes to networking so I appreciate your patience and help.
What should I be looking for?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

- Do you have a green LED on the network port of the BCS?
- Did you run BCS finder again with that config?
- When looking at the list of DHCP clients, are you looking for the MAC address that is printed on the BCS?
Tork

Post by Tork »

Yes, there is a blinking green LED and a yellow LED on.
I had not noticed the MAC address on the cover of the unit. So, now I tried to add the BCS-462 to the "reservations list". I re-ran the BCSfinder utility but without any success.
I also changed the IP address from 192.168.0.191 to .195 but again without any success.
brahn

Post by brahn »

I want to make sure I've got this straight. You've connected both the BCS to the switch, which is plugged into the router. I assume you have other devices connected to the switch that are able to access the internet/network resources successfully, is that right? Do any of those devices use DHCP? You created a reservation for the BCS's MAC address on the router for 192.168.0.191 and .195 after that and were unable to connect to the device.

Did you look on the router to see the list of DHCP clients?
Did you see the MAC address of the BCS in that list?
What is the IP address of your computer? (from command line run ipconfig in windows or ifconfig on linux/mac)
Tork

Post by Tork »

I'm back. I was out of town for a few days and am just now getting back to it. I read all of the information that comes with the D-Link router and thought that I had a handle on the problem but I guess not.

Here is what I have done lately. First, I have my house wired with Cat5e cable so that I can move a computer from room to room (pre-wireless). So, I connected up my laptop to the network in an adjacent room and was able to get on the Internet so I noted the IP address that the router had given it from another computer in my brewing room.
Next, I disconnected the laptop and plugged in the BCS unit to the same cable, thinking that it should have the same IP address. I went into the router management software and changed the IP address to what I had for the laptop and retried it. I then re-booted the router. Nothing.
I run BCS Finder but I don't get anything.
The lights on the switch show green below and amber above compared to the two computers, which are talking to the network, show both green below and green above.
ChuckO2999

Post by ChuckO2999 »

Tork wrote:I went back to my networked desktop computer and am connected to a D-Link DIR-655 Router and DGS-2205 switch. I have the BCS-462 connected to the 3rd switch position.
When I go to the router setup, it tells me that DHCP is enabled and the router address is 192.168.01 with a subnet mask of 255:255:255:0. The DHCP IP address range is 192.168.0.100-199.
I look at the list of dynamic DHCP clients but don't see anything that looks like the BCS in the list.
I am really clueless when it comes to networking so I appreciate your patience and help.
What should I be looking for?
Check the Router address of 192.168.01 versus the DHCP address range of 192.168.0.xx, Change the DHCP range to 192.168.01.xx and see if that helps.