Inexpensive Wireless Bridge

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
IrishBeerBaron

Inexpensive Wireless Bridge

Post by IrishBeerBaron »

Thought I'd document a small "here's an alternative" for the adventurous types with some networking know-how.

As it turns out, dd-wrt micro is now compatible with the Linksys/Cisco WRT54G2 ( available at any of the big box stores for around $50 ). If you haven't heard of dd-wrt ( http://www.dd-wrt.com ), it is third-party firmware based on linux for a variety of wireless routers. The benefit to this firmware is that it turns your $50 bare bones router into so much more, including the ability to work as a client bridge. ( client bridge being hardware that connects a wired LAN device to a wireless network )

Warning: When doing something like this, there is always a possibility that you will "brick" your router. These steps are also irreversible - you can't go back to the stock firmware. However, I followed the instructions below and made it out unscathed with a very nice piece of hardware.

So, since the steps for doing this are very well documented elsewhere, I am just going to provide links to them -

Step 1) Get yourself a WRT54G2

Step 2) Flash your new hardware with the dd-wrt firmware following these instructions: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40142 Follow every step exactly - this is not the time to pretend you don't need the instruction manual.

Step 3) Set up your new dd-wrt capable hardware to work in client mode http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68

Regarding encryption - One thing that held me up for a couple hours was that my main wireless router ( a stock firmware dLink ) had provided me with a 64 character WPA pass phrase when I initially set it up. This was not a problem for any of my machines, but as it turns out, was not compatible when trying to use it in client bridge mode. I changed it to a 63 character passphrase and everything worked perfectly.

Step 4) Once you have verified that the bridge is working with one of your machines, hook it up to your BCS-460. You should now be able to access the bcs-460 wirelessly. If you are using dhcp for your 460, open up your main routers admin page and find the ip address there under connected devices.

If you get stuck, there is a lot of documentation out there on the dd-wrt site and available by google.

If you have an older wireless router that is collecting dust right now, you can check http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices to see if you can use the dd-wrt firmware on it.
bsfixit

Re: Inexpensive Wireless Bridge

Post by bsfixit »

interesting..... those WRT54G2 are available for much cheaper than 50 bones if you look a bit..
I tried so hard to connect wirelessly until I concluded I need a client bridge. just like what you did..
very interesting indeed...
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Post by gbrewer »

I currently run a D-Link DI-624 which is my main router and the WRT54G as the client bridge which makes the BCS wireless. I ended up downloading and following the process of the dd-wrt flash/software. When setting up the WRT54G router to communicate with your main router, make sure you select Client Bridge mode and not just client. If you select the client mode, you will need to create your own routing since the routers will be on different subnets. Save some time, use the client bridge mode.

The instructions from the link at the top of this thread are well written with pictures. The process is easy to follow.
slimer

Post by slimer »

Just flashed a WRT54Gv6 today and am having trouble assigning an IP to the client side router as well as the BCS.

Anyone have some suggestions?
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

For the purpose of this thread, let's establish a few names. The Main Router is the one connected to the internet. The "Client" Router is the one connected as a bridge to the Main Router.

Are you able to access the "Client" Router through the main router? Are you using NAT or are you using Static IP's? If the Client router is reachable, what IP is being assigned?

I created a Statis IP for the "Client" on the Main router. I only did this so I didn't need to guess the host name or risk have the IP address being double assigned. The Client Router wants to know what its IP address is in the setup process. Mine is set to 192.168.0.2 and I created a statis IP for this address. I also had to change the "starting" IP range on my main router to accomodate this.

Also, did you confirm that you selected "Client Bridge" mode and not "Client" mode?
bsfixit

WET610N wireless dual band bridge

Post by bsfixit »

This is an old thread but I thought I would post a link to a bridge I got to work with my Verizon FIOS router and the BCS.
I had to setup the bridge manually, but it does support WI-FI protected mode setup if your router does as well. It also comes with
a install wizard disk. Or you can download it from the Linksys site. The install wizard I could not get to work. Either on my MAC OSX or windows on another MAC partition. As well as another windows computer running Vista.
This is where I got the bridge for 31 dollars. http://www.compuplus.com/search.php?ter ... 0n&x=0&y=0

To set this up. I plugged the WET610N into my FIOS router. I then went into the router. Most routers use the default IP of 192.168.1.1
I found my bridge located on the network, along with the IP that was assigned to it.I typed in the bridges IP address in my Firefox browser
logged into the bridge using the default user ID and password, admin . Linksys recommended that you use WEP security on the bridge.
so I set the SSID and WEP key to match exactly the FIOS router's SSID and WEP key. It refreshed the page and the status page comes up saying it was connected
to the router. I unplugged the bridge and took it to where I use my BCS. I connected the bridge to the BCS via ethernet cable and powered them up.
I went back into the FIOS router, found the DNS page in advance settings It shows IP address of the BCS-460. Entered that into my browser's address.
Up pops the BCS main page. I should mention that after having trouble with the bridge trying to set it to use a static IP. I left that setting as DHCP rather than static.
If I power down the bridge and BCS in between brew sessions, I just go back into my router's DNS page and find the BCS's assigned IP, if it was changed since the
last session. Thats it! relax, don't worry have a homebrew! Then program your BCS if you had not already done so.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Sorry for dredging up such an old thread. I had an old linksys working for a while using firmware from DD-WRT, but something changed and it quit working, and I could never get it going again. Ended up giving that router to a relative.

Anyhow, I now have a US. Robotics Bridge, and I am not sure what I am supposed to be selecting on this page
http://support.usr.com/support/5432/543 ... p_mode.htm
Some of the posts say to select Client Bridge... but this has Infrastructure (client) and Bridge and individual choices. Which one is the right one.

Sorry, I am a complete network dummy... the more I read the more I get confused on this stuff.
brahn

Post by brahn »

My wireless bridge setup is different, but looking at the page you linked I think you would want to pick Infrastructure.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Thanks Brahn,

I finally got some time to mess with it some more and you were correct. It is a wonderful thing to be able to sit in the warm house and program the BCS that is out in the cold garage.

Thanks for the help.
brahn

Post by brahn »

Great, I'm glad that worked!