Connect though LAN

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
timweber
Bot?: No

Connect though LAN

Post by timweber »

I am trying to connect to my BCS though a networked router. I saw the trouble shooting tips suggestion of the following:

BCS is on the LAN (networked with a router)

Recommended configuration.

* The network address (MAC Address) of the BCS is printed on the bottom of the unit. Log onto your router to find the IP Address that has been assigned to the BCS. Make sure that the network cable is connected to the BCS before the BCS is powered on. This is because the BCS attempts to grab an IP address during the first few seconds of power-on, and after that defaults to its static IP address (see below).

Could someone please help me out with this. I am a networking NOOB and do not know how to log on to my router. I tried inputing 192.168.1.1 into my address bar on firefox, it comes up with a user name and password. As far as I know I don't have a user name or password. I tried entering the S/N and MAC address found on the router but that didn't do anything.
timweber

Re: Connect though LAN

Post by timweber »

Sorry... I just found this link

http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html
timweber

Post by timweber »

I am now logged into my router, but I am lost. What should I be looking for? I have a lynksys BEFSR41 V3
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

The easiest way to operate the BCS460 is plugged directly into your Laptop. Once you get past that, you start getting into networking issues that may be beyond basic knowledge. I say this, because several users have posted wanting help in setting up the BCS460 with their router (some wireless). Most of these issues are a "Router" issue and not a BCS460 issue which make them difficult to trouble shoot. With that being said, let's see what other users can do to help you out.

How is your home network currently operating and what are you trying to accomplish by using a router?

Will your BCS460 be plugged into the router at brew time or directly to your PC?

If you are currently connected at home to a network (router), are you using DHCP?

If you are running DHCP, you could be assigned a new IP address for your BCS460 each time you plug it in. This depends on how many computers are currently using your network. It really doesn't make much of a difference in your overall setup, but helps us help you in finding what the IP address of the BCS460 might be when plugged in.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Look for a table of connected devices. It should list the MAC address (or network address) of every device connected to your network. In the same table, it will list the IP address of each device.

Simply look for the MAC address of your BCS, which is printed on its label. Should be in the format 00:00:00:00:00:00. Then find the IP associated with your BCS, and you should be in business.
timweber

Post by timweber »

I agree. The easiest way is directly plugged into my PC, and I plan I using this method durring brew day. Unfourtunatly, I am having issues changing properties in my state manager. I press apply and my new changes are reset to default, the theory being that the connection is too fast. My thought is if I can "put some distance" between my computer and the BCS then I will have a chance to update the settings. I have another thread up on this issue.

Currently I have a wireless router plugged into my hardwire router. I have two laptops, and two iPhones that use the wireless signal.

I just wikied DHCP. Sounds like that is what I am using.

I will look again for the listed IP on my router. The issue I was having was finding the table while logged into the router. I was a bit bleary eyed last night, and pretty frustrated. I'll give it another go tonight.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Try this....

If you are using a windows based pc...

Go into programs - Accessories - command prompt

You should see a black box appear.

Type ipconfig

Tell us what the default Gateway is and your IPv4 Address.

Mine is usually 192.168.0.5 (or close to it) It could be 192.168.1.something

If yours is similar, you can always plug in your BCS 460 and type 192.168.0.2 (or 192.168.1.2 depending on your gateway) and keep incrementing the last digit until you find the rightt number. It should only take you 5 tries with what you have networked.

Also, in your router, you should have a tab labeled status. Once clicked, you will see other options. Down towards the bottom you will see a button for DHCP Client Table. Click that. You should see a table of all devices with IP numbers and MAC addresses.

Let me knoww if tthis worked.