Simple 460 Build

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
JonW
Site Admin
Bot?: No

Re: Simple 460 Build

Post by JonW »

That is the same 120v HSI that I use, but I have BCS controlling them. I am not familiar enough with the Honeywell products to tell you what components you need to make it work.
scribble

Post by scribble »

Well, I made two orders, which is all the big stuff. I ended up getting one of the Honeywell Smartvalves. It was more expensive, but they are setup to run the Hot Surface Ignitor by just plugging it in.

I still need to buy switches, SSR, receptacles, and a transformer, but I think I can do that locally at radioshack and home depot.

I will get on and update everything I purchased later.

Thanks for the help,
Andy
scribble

Post by scribble »

I just wanted to update this thread with what I purchased.

1 BCS 460 $179.95
1 Honeywell Security Panel $16.99
1 Honeywell Smart Gas Valve $143.95 Ouch!
1 Honeywell Hot Surface Ignitor $25.89
3 25A SSR $8 a piece
1 24V transformer $26.5 on Amazon, cheaper at Radio Shack
1 Temperature Sensor $21
1 Low Pressure orifice $7
1 Low Pressure regulator $28.95
1 Wireless Xbox adapter $35 on Ebay
2 Amico 2 Pcs 8 Position Double Row Screw Terminal Covered Barrier Strip 600V 25A $6.60 a piece

I am about $510 into this and I just need a few more parts. Considering the Blichmann Tower of power controller was $575 and only controls one thing I I'm really happy I decided to go this route. Hopefully it all comes together.

I am trying to decide if I am going to use XLR jacks for my temperature probes or if I'm just going to wire them up with cat 5 cable. I want to be able to unplug them then use the BCS to control a fermentation chamber. My brewing area and my fermenting area are different locations.

I need to get 2 HOA switches (Single Pole Double Throw)
I also need to get my receptacles, but I plan on doing that locally.

I will update when I get all the parts and get back from the hospital with my newborn son next week!

Thanks again for answering questions JonW and also to all of you who have documented your troubleshooting and builds on this forum.

Andy
scribble

Post by scribble »

Edit.

I got some help over at Homebrewtalk from Kladue. The HSI I ordered was not going to work with that particular Smart Valve so I ordered one that plugs directly into it.

Andy
scribble

Post by scribble »

I'm looking for an idea for a quick disconnect for my valve power. It runs at 24 volts at .2 amps but the ignitior runs at 1.25 amps max. Anyone know if I could get away with cat5, or do I need to run 18 gauge and come up with a harness or something?

I'm still waiting on the BCS, I guess they had to make one.

Andy
scribble

Post by scribble »

I finally logged into my BCS and got to mess around with it today. I am pleasantly surprised at how user friendly it is. I have my temp probe up and running and both my pumps. Tomorrow I will test out my Honeywell Smartvalve on a cat 5 cable and see if that will work. I'm hoping 24 gauge wire can handle it.

Andy
scribble

Post by scribble »

It took me a month due to a new addition to the family, but I got to brew today with my new setup.

WOW! I've got a little tweaking to do but the BCS 460 is badass. It made my brewday so much easier and my efficiency is through the roof.

Thanks ECC for an awesome product!
Andy
OneManBrewery

Post by OneManBrewery »

So I'm looking at going down this path too. Glad I found your forum, because I was wondering if tower of power or BCS was more cost effective. Obviously BCS. Haha. Any tips you for me now that it is all said and down with? Do you have to use the expensive smart valves? I need something with a little protection I live in a mini wind tunnel at times. Thanks.
scribble

Post by scribble »

One Man Brewery.

I did use the Smart Valves. As far as wiring them, I need to look. It's been long enough that I forget. I think that what I did was use 18 gauge wire. It does not have a quick disconnect on my control panel, but I used the wiring harness that came with the smart valve so I can disconnect it from my burner assembly and store my control panel. I used Cat 5 for everything else.

Edit...

After looking at the manual to the Smart Valve... Take the wiring harness that comes with it. Once side plugs into the Smart Valve. The other side plugs into furnace. Cut those wires off because you are not plugging it into a furnace. You may be able to buy those plugs and have it cleaner, but I didn't need to. I butt spliced into those wires. http://s3.supplyhouse.com/manuals/12495 ... lGuide.pdf
There is the manual. Figure 11 shows you what wires are what. Hook up 24 volt common, 24 volt hot, and 24 Volt Thermostat or pressure switch will get hooked up to BCS. The EFT Output doesn't get used I believe. I can confirm that tomorrow by looking. My brewery is in my neighbors garage due to a renovation so I will have to go look tomorrow. The HSI just plugs in and you mount it near your burner. I broke my first HSI, because sometimes I'm challenged. I did not think it was working so I managed to take it out and look at it and break it. I found some that work well with these smart valves much cheaper on EBay.

Andy
scribble

Post by scribble »

FYI,

Replacement HSI for 1/2 the price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IG9500-for-Furn ... 58b650c140