Help with Firmware Update on a Mac

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
scottd
Bot?: No

Help with Firmware Update on a Mac

Post by scottd »

Can anyone help me with updating the firmware, from 3.4.5 to 3.7, on a Mac? Downloaded Tftp Server but not really sure what to do from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Broph

Re: Help with Firmware Update on a Mac

Post by Broph »

1.) In your browser go to http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... and_Errata
2.) Download the BCS460.bin file onto your computer maybe into a folder called BCS on your hard drive.
3.) Download the following TFTP program for your mac, http://ww2.unime.it/flr/tftpserver/TftpServer.dmg
4.) open the TFTP program.
5.) Click on the Change Path icon to point to the BCS folder
6.) on the right side of the TFTP screen is your computers ip address
7.) Click the Start TFTP icon to start the server
8.) In your browser go to your BCS, click on System Settings ; click on Firmware Update, then click on the Firmware update button. It will ask for an ip address - type in the one from step 6.
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery
scottd

Post by scottd »

Thanks Broph. I followed your instructions and everything seemed to be going to plan. I opened the server, went to the system setting and clicked on firmware update, entered the IP address from the right side of the server window. Nothing seemed to be happing, but I waited about 10 minutes and tried to connect. But now I cannot connect to the BCS. I am hardwired in and trying to access it at 169.254.0.63 (like I have always). Should I try a hard reset or is there something I am still missing? Thanks again, I will get this figured out, I need to brew next weekend.
scottd

Post by scottd »

OK, tried multiple hard resets yesterday (10 sec, 20 sec and 30 sec) to no avail. In fact, I am not entirely sure it reset. Is there a way to tell? The network light (yellow) went out for a second and then came back on with the green light blinking. Seems like the BCS is working but I cannot find it anywhere. I have tried all of the IP Addresses in the Wiki, tried changing my Ethernet IP address to a static one (169.254.0.63 - where I used to access the BCS), multiple restarts etc. So far no luck. Any suggestions before I contact Brewers Hardware about returning this thing?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Scott, have you tried the BCS finder utility? Is your computer simultaneously on a WiFi connection and trying to attach the BCS to the Ethernet port? Multiple Ethernet adapters can be a tricky configuration.

Have you plugged the BCS into your router to let it grab a DHCP address? That is usually the easiest way to get it running. Doing that ensures that both your computer and your BCS are getting assigned addresses from the same pool.
scottd

Post by scottd »

Jon, the BCS is hardwired via Ethernet cable straight to my laptop. Its a Mac and the BCS Finder Utility is a windows executable that will not run on a Mac. Would turning off the WiFi to the laptop and trying to connect via Ethernet cable help? The BCS is mounted in an enclosure in the garage and the router is upstairs, if need be I will have to take it apart and bring it upstairs if that will help? Trying to avoid that, but if I need to I will.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Plugging directly into the router to get it configured would be the best bet. I always suggest this to people as it usually assures that both the BCS and computer are pulling IP addresses from the same pool. Also, since you can't run the BCS finder utility, you'll need to look at your router to find the address that the router assigns to the BCS.
scottd

Post by scottd »

Jon, thanks again. By connecting the BCS directly to the router I was able to find the BCS at 172.27.35.135 through trail and error and some help from a networking friend. I opened it and the firmware has been updated to 3.7..yeah! Now for what is hopefully the last step. When I connect the BCS directly to my laptop I cannot find it again (i.e. it is not at 172.27.35.135) and it is not at the original IP Address (169.254.0.63) either. How do I set the BCS so that I can directly connect it via ethernet to my laptop and run it like I used to do? Is it as simple as assigning it a static IP Address in the system settings?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Set it with a static address and set your laptop with one on the same subnet.
scottd

Post by scottd »

Jon, thanks again! I apologize, but I want to make sure I am understanding what you just said. It sounds like I need to do the following:

1. Set a Static IP Address in System Settings. Lets say that it looks like this:
168.254.0.63 - Set Static Address
255.255.255.0 - Set Subnet Mask
172.27.35.1 - Set Gateway
aa 00 02 00 22 33 - Set Mac Addr
80 - Port

Hit apply.

2. Set the laptop with an address on the same subnet (not as sure about this).I think it is as simple as whats shown here under OS X Network Configuration http://wiki.embeddedcc.com/index.php/Ad ... work_Setup.

Before I hit the enter key just want to make sure that I wont be starting over again.

Thanks again Jon. I owe you some beer.