Question about the new BCS-460 temperature control

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Biernut

Question about the new BCS-460 temperature control

Post by Biernut »

I have asked Adam many questions for weeks on the HomeBrewTalk.com forum about the new BCS-460 controller before it came to market. He's great with fast return replies. I'm now on the waiting list (no hurry I can wait be it 5-6 weeks from now not a hurry problem with me), but I forgot to ask a few questions, some rather important ones for this build.
For my use I will have two 5.5KW heating elements in each keggle. Two in the HLT, MLT and the Boil Kettle, 6 total ULD heating elements. Only two elements energized at any given time as 45.8 amps is a rather large load before adding the pump and 460 unit. Each keggle will have two 5.5KW 240 volt heating elements on together for a fast temp rise then when near the set temp Adam stated an example of 5*F below a set temp then let another state run only one element to rise the last 5*F and maintain the temp in that keggle. The same system setup also for the other two keggles. Once at the 5*F below the set temp switching to one element I will have both elements in the MLT heat up until at the 5*F beloe the set temp switiching to one element also. Then i'll have one element in the MLT and HLT on to bring up the temps to their set temp in the HLT and MLT. Note only two elements energized be it in one keggle or two keggles but only 11KW of heating load and maintaining temps. Later when in the Boil pot again both elements on for 11KW then on one 5.5KW for the rolling boil. Still with me?

Questions; will I need two temperature probes in each kettle to handle the two 5.5KW elements or can I use only one temp probe in each keggle with two elements heating then near the set temp have that single temp probe tell the BSC to switch over and keep heating with only one 5.5KW element plus maintaining that set temp off that same single temp probe? To add more to this project during the mash time I want to be able to have one 5.5KW element in the HLT and one in the MLT to be able to turn on to maintain temps, again only 11KW or two elements on at any one time. By the way this is a HERMS system with the elements in direct contact in the HLT water, in a seperate sealed but fluid expansion vented false bottom chamber for the MLT and the Boil Keggle bottoms. These keggkes will use the 4" probes you have besides one 6" probe for the conical fermenter.Thanks in advance, I hope I explained it so you could understand what I am building.
Carl Winterbauer. R90scj@alamedanet.net
ECC
Bot?: No

Re: Question about the new BCS-460 temperature control

Post by ECC »

Welcome! One probe per keggle will suffice.

If an output is going to be controlled by a PID, it must be associated with a temperature probe. But multiple outputs can be associated with the same temperature probe, so 2 probes aren't necessary. In the System Settings page, there is a pull down called "Associate with Temp Input" in the output setup table. Just make sure to select the correct temperature probe in the pulldowns and you should be set.

In this way, you can think of the BCS-460 as a six stage temp controller