Distillery Usage?

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
terryspine
Bot?: No

Distillery Usage?

Post by terryspine »

So here is the lowdown.

In December I received my federal permit for a Distilled Spirits Plant (Plant Number DSP-IN-21008). I state that to let you know that any information you provide is not being used for the illegal distillation of alcohol. We will be a Mirco / Artisan Distillery making whiskey, bourbon, rum, and possibly vodka.

Since the basic mash preparation and fermentation steps have parallels between beer and liquor my thought is to use a BCS to manage my fermentation tanks and for for the still temperature regulation.

I have no intention of automating valves and pumps at this time, my main concern is temperature regulation and cooking temperature profiles. I am electrical engineer by trade, so the wiring and design is not something I am scared of. My main curiosity is that that BCS process flow is flexible enough to provide this sort of control. I have no experience with the BCS software specifically so that is why I am asking. From what I tell, it should be able to accommodate everything I would need and at a much better price point than the standard industrial controls I am familiar with.

Thanks
Terry
Distillery 64
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Distillery Usage?

Post by JonW »

Without knowing what your processes are, it's hard to say for sure, but like you said, there are so many parallels with beer, that the BCS would handle it just fine.

The process flow is however you make it. You have 8 separate processes that can run simultaneously or spawn/stop each other at some point. Within each process, you also have 8 separate states. Most people only need a couple of states for each process. For me, the BCS is flexible enough to run my brew system, fermenters, serving fridge and smoker.
terryspine

Post by terryspine »

Thanks JonW. I just wanted to hear from someone that had experience with it. Thanks again

Terry
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

It works awesome.... We have applied for our DSP, but I know a guy who knows a guy who used it for that...

this is what you HMI image might look similar to
Attachments
cdc.png
cdc.png (48.52 KiB) Viewed 5507 times
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

and this is what it may look like in action via a chromecast dongle
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (67.66 KiB) Viewed 5507 times
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

clearwaterbrewer wrote:... I know a guy who knows a guy who used it for that...
LOL :lol: