Difficulties with update and network connections

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Pesho77
Bot?: No

Difficulties with update and network connections

Post by Pesho77 »

confused by this update im tryin to go from 3.4.5 to 3.7.1on windows 8

all i get is a time out or a Rxed ERR(2) from server.ACESS VIOLATION

i can see the main control page so im conected to the bsc460

the ip of the bsc460 is 169.254.0.63 the client ip shows as 169.254.77.168 (on the bsc finder)

the comp ip shows as 192.168.1.85 on an ip config or 81.152.209.162 if i google whats my ip

ive downloaded the .bin and the hs tftp.

So what do i type and where ?

TIA

Pesh
brahn

Re: Announcement: BCS Firmware version 3.7.1 is now availabl

Post by brahn »

Something isn't quite adding up here. With those IP addresses you shouldn't be able to access the BCS at all. What IP address are you using in your browser when you connect to the BCS?

You will need to put the bcs460.bin file in the server directory for the TFTP server. I'm not familiar with HS TFTP, so I'm not sure exactly how that works. This should be simple, but it is very important to get this right.

You'll put your computer's local IP address into the dialog that pops up when you click the button to upgrade the firmware. In this case, that appears to be 192.168.1.85, but this does not appear to be on the same network as the BCS which would be a problem. Generally speaking, the first 3 numbers in your IP address should be the same between the BCS and your computer.
Pesho77

Post by Pesho77 »

The ip i use is 169.254.0.63 to conect to the bsc its conected via an ethernet cable to the comp so cant (as far as i can tell) be on a different net work

the hp tftp is the demo one from the update web page

Im baffled too by the different ip addys i cant see why the ipconfig says one and google says another

Pesh
Pesho77

Post by Pesho77 »

Oh i should add that when i use the 169.254.0.63 i can see the main control page and can see temp probe changes so its working ok, and if i click the update firm ware button i cant access the main control page so im happy its changing states to update mode an to reset i have to cycle the power to the unit, so it does look like its working fine i just need the right numbers in the right boxes

Pesh
brahn

Post by brahn »

Ok, then your computer should have another IP address that starts with "169.254.0." in addition to the 192.168.1.85 address. You should see both listed when you run ipconfig. That's the address you need to use to do the firmware update.
Pesho77

Post by Pesho77 »

ive changed laptops and updated the bsc but now i cant access it, i have 2 both have been updated, but now i cant access either, ive tryed a hard reset on one but now im not even getting any lights.

Have i bricked the one i tryed to reset ?

Is there any thing i can do with the one that hasnt been reset ?

Bsc finder cant see it, an an ipconfig cant find it either, im trying 169.254.0.63 im my browser but that doesnt work either, any ideas ?

Pesh
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Can you attach both your computer and the BCS to a router that has DHCP enabled on it?

Your problems here are networking issues and there are so many variables that could be involved that it is much easier to get to a known working state by using a router that will assign the addresses. You must make sure your computer is also plugged into the router to get its address.

Are you using a wireless laptop and also plugging the BCS into the Ethernet port on the laptop?
Pesho77

Re: Difficulties with update and network connections

Post by Pesho77 »

yeah im conecting the bsc one at a time via an ethernet cable

the one i thought i broke has the lights on again

again i just need the right number

Pesh

why is nowt never easy
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

What I'm trying to tell you is that there is no "right number". The IP addresses all depend on your specific network configuration.

I don't understand what you mean by "yeah im conecting the bsc one at a time via an ethernet cable ".

Is your computer using wireless to get to the internet?

Is your computer also using a cable to attach the BCS?
brahn

Post by brahn »

Connecting the BCS directly to your PC is absolutely the most difficult way to get it working. Like JonW suggested, if you can plug both the BCS and PC into your router and use the reset button to reset the BCS to defaults you should be able to get it working pretty easily.