bcs usage clarification

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
mellman
Bot?: No

Re: bcs usage clarification

Post by mellman »

JonW wrote:I'm not following this. How would you change the I2C addressing with a selector switch? The selection of address is via pushbutton menu selection on the displays. All displays share the same power and data lines, but display different data based on what address the display is told to use.
perhaps I am assuming something incorrectly...how are the I2C addresses setup/connected on the BCS?

i was under the impression that there'd be certain pinouts on the BCS for each address...perhaps that is mistaken; and you have to set the PID display to listen to a particular address?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

mellman wrote:perhaps I am assuming something incorrectly...how are the I2C addresses setup/connected on the BCS?

i was under the impression that there'd be certain pinouts on the BCS for each address...perhaps that is mistaken; and you have to set the PID display to listen to a particular address?
There's only 2 data lines (pins) for all LCD's and expansion boards to share. It's kind of like a shared serial port. It sends data that is coded with specific addresses. The LCD's each listen for a specific address and display the appropriate data for only that address.
mellman

Post by mellman »

JonW wrote:
mellman wrote:perhaps I am assuming something incorrectly...how are the I2C addresses setup/connected on the BCS?

There's only 2 data lines (pins) for all LCD's and expansion boards to share. It's kind of like a shared serial port. It sends data that is coded with specific addresses. The LCD's each listen for a specific address and display the appropriate data for only that address.
gotcha; so my idea wouldn't work; at least not with physical switches. seems it would be easy enough to switch it in the software as to what's being displayed if i really wanted to change it up...but at that point, might as well just use an LCD panel with BCS temp displays on it.

I really appreciate all the help/patience/clarification on my questions! Looking forward to placing my order and getting some hands on experience with the BCS!

Cheers,
-Matt
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

It also appears that you must use Temp 0 with Out 0 and Temp 1 with Out 1 and so on in a process. Is this statement true?

You may not use any Temp Probe with Out 0 in a Process using control (PID, and so on) except Temp Probe 0.

I was trying to create a Process and had already labeled all my outs and Temp Probes.

I had also labeled my Temp Probes.

I labeled
Temp Probe 3 as HLT
Temp Probe 4 as BK Gas Valve
Out 3 as Red Pump
Out 4 as HLT Gas Valve

I wanted to set a Mash Process where
The Temp Probe in the HLT hit its target Strike Water Temperature to maintain it.

It does not look like you can associate a Temp Probe to an Out in a Process (i.e. Assign Temp Probe 3 to Out 4) but they are "fixed" .

If this is the case I can quickly re label the probes and/or outs.

Also, it seems that I should reserve the first 6 (8 in 4.0) to something that needs to be controlled by temperature.

I am looking for some information as I am trying to program but also write myself a cook book on what and what not to do.

It seems I made an error when I labeled the Temp Probes and Outs.
Fortunately, I have not wired anything yet.

Is it correct that I should of labeled
Out 3 as HLT and wired it with the SSR controlling the Gas Valve for the HLT instead of the "Red Pump"?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

oakbarn wrote:It also appears that you must use Temp 0 with Out 0 and Temp 1 with Out 1 and so on in a process. Is this statement true?
You may not use any Temp Probe with Out 0 in a Process using control (PID, and so on) except Temp Probe 0.
No, this is not true. For Out0 through Out5, you can associate them with any of the temp probes in the system settings. For clarity sake, I think it is probably easiest to set Out0 to Temp0, Out1 to Temp1, etc., but that is not a requirement.
oakbarn wrote: I was trying to create a Process and had already labeled all my outs and Temp Probes.
I had also labeled my Temp Probes.
I labeled
Temp Probe 3 as HLT
Temp Probe 4 as BK Gas Valve
Out 3 as Red Pump
Out 4 as HLT Gas Valve

I wanted to set a Mash Process where
The Temp Probe in the HLT hit its target Strike Water Temperature to maintain it.
It does not look like you can associate a Temp Probe to an Out in a Process (i.e. Assign Temp Probe 3 to Out 4) but they are "fixed" .
If this is the case I can quickly re label the probes and/or outs.
Also, it seems that I should reserve the first 6 (8 in 4.0) to something that needs to be controlled by temperature.
I am looking for some information as I am trying to program but also write myself a cook book on what and what not to do.
It seems I made an error when I labeled the Temp Probes and Outs.
Fortunately, I have not wired anything yet.
Is it correct that I should of labeled
Out 3 as HLT and wired it with the SSR controlling the Gas Valve for the HLT instead of the "Red Pump"?
The temp probe association is mostly fixed - you define the association in the system settings and then use that same output/probe combination in the process/states. However, there are options in the state configuration to use what is called alternate PID, which does allow you to re-associate an output to another temp probe within the state. Honestly, there should be rare occasions where you need that and I would stay away from it unless you're very well versed in the way the BCS works.

In 4.0, you can change output/probe associations on a state by state basis. See my post on the 4.0 preview for a screen shot.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I see that you can change the temp associated with a PID Out under
[-]PID and Hysteresis Output Control Settings. I can see that it would be much easier to treat them as "fixed".