Brew day: Process/state mods per recipe

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
zakleeright
Bot?: No

Brew day: Process/state mods per recipe

Post by zakleeright »

I just beta tested my first complete brew-day process/state setup and it seems to work well.
However, I set generic settings for mash heats and times, hop addition timers, etc for my "theoretical recipe".

It seems like it will be tedious/time-robbing to have to seek/replace all these settings per brew day/recipe, being sprinkled throughout your process/state setup.

I scoured and found some aging threads about some .xml mapping/programming some sharp guys did, imports from beersmith to BCS, but have failed to find anything else on this.

Is that an ongoing concern for others? I'm curious as to how others deal with this?

Is it possible to have some type of "recipe settings" screen in the BCS, where you can do a one-time setup to map your entries in the "recipe settings" page to specific process/state settings? Then you could go to one screen, enter all of your mash times, Heat targets, level/volume targets, hop/adjunct addition timers, etc?
Cheers
oakbarn

Re: Brew day: Process/state mods per recipe

Post by oakbarn »

From what I read you have to set up a "recipe" for different profiles (brews) and save them as config files. When you want that profile, you just load the config file?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Upcoming BCS software is looking at having a recipe type input screen to update variables within your process/states.

Yes, for now you'd need to either manually update your temps/times wherever they occur, or you can contact member SamIam to see about using the program he did.
zakleeright

Post by zakleeright »

thanks much for the input guys.
I just did a couple things to help me learn/understand:
- went through my config and created a spreadsheet to get perspective.
- looked at the CSV format of the process config files.

Considering figuring out where the key values in the file are.
After that time investment, seems like you could slap your new temps/times in and upload it.
Perhaps import the config to a spreadsheet, export to CSV file, then upload to BCS.
I found the temp values fairly easy, the rest can't be too hard, eh?
Of course, seems like SamIAm has already done that legwork.

The GUI is great for learning/visualizing, but once you have it down, a CLI can really speed things up.
Or maybe I've spent too much time in CLI's!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

The data format you are looking for is fully documented in the wiki.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

If I have a process Asserted (Fermentation=> My Process 7) and wish to load a different Process for mashing (TGS Mash Profile => My Process 0), does loading the Process file while I have an active process running have any issues?

I would not load a Process file that is Asserted.