Discrete Input

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Discrete Input

Post by oakbarn »

I understand this is a "control signal" from something like a float switch that I can use in Ladder Logic, and I am fairly sure what "Enable" means (must be enabled to be "used".
1. What is "one shot" and how would one use it for example?

2. Can DINs only be used in Ladder Logic for any type of "control"? If elsewhere, then where?

3. I know they can be used for status (Green Light Turns on).
brewstarke

Re: Discrete Input

Post by brewstarke »

You can use a din to change states too. Such as using a float switch to control sparge level, I.e. Sparge pump fills mash tun to desired level, float switch opens circuit and triggers din which changes state to turn off pump...rinse and repeat.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Thanks. It is not apparent but it is a choice in the Drop Down List box. I also found the Web Input buttons there as well.
Attachments
Exit On Din.png
Exit On Din.png (41.01 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
brahn

Post by brahn »

I think it will be a lot clearer in the next version of the firmware.
Screenshot 2014-04-20 23.52.26.png
Screenshot 2014-04-20 23.52.26.png (40.61 KiB) Viewed 6282 times
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I have not been able to find out what "one shot" does or how it might be used. Will it be available in 4.0?
Attachments
one_shot.png
one_shot.png (20.12 KiB) Viewed 6252 times
brahn

Post by brahn »

The one-shot means that when the input is triggered and processed it will not trigger again until the DIN has turned off.

For instance, if you had a physical button you wanted to use as a "next state" button, you could configure every state with an exit condition on the DIN that your button is connected to. If it wasn't configured as one-shot, holding the button would continue skipping states until you let it go. Using one-shot means that the first exit condition would trigger, but the DIN would then be ignored until you let go and pressed it again.

Yes, this option still exists in 4.0.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

So basically a DIN can be thought of as a switch. The wire comes off the 5 dc terminal through a switch to the DIN on the BCS.
A physical “maintained action” switch would continue to assert a DIN as long as it was “maintained”.
A physical “momentary action” switch would assert the DIN as long as it was depressed.
A physical “maintained action” switch would continue assert a DIN similar to “momentary action” even if it was “maintained” if set to “one shot”. A good example of this type of use might be a float switch.
Is this logic correct?
Joyride-Brewing

Post by Joyride-Brewing »

We use the DIN one shot method via a momentary NO contact PB to switch between HLT-MLT-BK states in the exit menu, it works really well in our manual process set up.