Expose BCS as network share to access DAT files?

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
redbeard1056
Bot?: No

Expose BCS as network share to access DAT files?

Post by redbeard1056 »

Is there a way to expose access to the DAT files as a network share or mapped drive? I'm looking to access the ultemp.dat file once per second and pull that data into a real-time database. My suspicion is that this isn't really a file, but more of a script that queries the BCS and outputs the values to the browser (or code calling the DAT). Any way to expose this as a share or mapped drive without writing code to query and write values to an actual file?

Thanks!
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Expose BCS as network share to access DAT files?

Post by JonW »

No, it doesn't work that way. Most products with embedded processors don't have full file systems like a Win/Lin/Mac type computer.

The ultemp.dat info is in-memory only and sent as a result of an HTTP request. What language are you using? Maybe someone will have some code to show you how to do the http request / response handling.
redbeard1056

Re: Expose BCS as network share to access DAT files?

Post by redbeard1056 »

Gotcha. Not using a language at this point (trying to use one of the native interfaces my DB provides). I can code something up, but was looking to see what out of the box functionality I can leverage first. Thanks!