Getting Close to Build

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Getting Close to Build

Post by oakbarn »

This is how understand the Edit Processes => Outputs Asserted in This State for Out 0 to Out 5.
The first three radio buttons set the type of switch control.
1. Control
a. Duty Cycle Controlled
i. Associated with the Temp Probe Association
ii. Uses the Temperature Setpoint °F/C

b. Hysteresis Controlled

c. PID Controlled

2. Directly Off
a. Simple Off (De-Assert)
b. Not Associated with a Temp Probe
c. or Temperature Setpoint °F/C

3. Directly ON
a. Simple On (Assert)
b. Not Associated with a Temp Probe
c. or Temperature Setpoint °F/C

As a gas brewer that also uses a freezer as a fermentation chamber, Hysteresis would seem what I would want to use. It seems to me that PWM, Duty Cycle, and PID Control are more in the bailiwick of Electric brewing.

a. Hysteresis ⁰F: This where you set the Hysteresis range parameter. Basically Hysteresis is a lag ± from a set value. If you have a set point of a temperature probe at 152 ⁰F, a Hysteresis of 4 ⁰F would have a range of 148 ⁰F to 156 ⁰F. This would keep a Relay/Burner/Freezer from constantly cycling. Hysteresis ⁰F is also associated with Output Heat/Cool as to the way the Out is asserted.
b. Output Heat/Cool: This is a toggle. If you select Heat, Cool is off. If you click Cool, Heat is unclicked.
Mash Example: If an Output is programmed as Heat with a Hysteresis range parameter of 4 ⁰F, with a setpoint of 152 ⁰F. it will be asserted ON if the associated temperature is less than the 148 ⁰F (setpoint - Hysteresis range parameter), and asserted OFF if the temperature is greater than 156 ⁰F (setpoint - Hysteresis range parameter).
What this means: if you have a burner controlled by an Out (though a SSR and furnance solenoid) associated with a Temp Probe in the Mash Lauter Tun, the burner will turn on at 148 ⁰F and turn off when the Probe reaches 156 ⁰F.
In Cool mode, the assertion is reversed
Fermentation Example: If an Output is programmed as Cool with a Hysteresis range parameter of 2 ⁰F, with a setpoint of 50 ⁰F. it will be asserted Off if the associated temperature is less than the 48 ⁰F (setpoint - Hysteresis range parameter), and asserted On if the temperature is greater than 52 ⁰F (setpoint - Hysteresis range parameter).
What this means: if you have a freezer controlled by an Out (though a SSR) associated with a Temp Probe in the Fermentation Chamber, the freezer will turn off at 48 ⁰F and turn on when the Probe reaches 52 ⁰F.

Is the above Correct?
I am interested in any ideas on how to use the control functions in my brewing process.
My Plan:
MASH:
Control the Mash with a solenoid Gas valve through a SSR (furnace type).
What is your Hysteresis range parameter for Mash?
FERMENTATION:
An SSR to the freezer to control the fermentation.
What is your Hysteresis range parameter for Fermentation?
PUMPS:
Pumps would be simply Directly On or Directly Off.
VALVES:
Manual or simply Directly On or Directly Off.
HLT:
Control the HLT with a solenoid Gas valve through a SSR (furnace type).
oakbarn

Re: Getting Close to Build M12 Panel Mounts

Post by oakbarn »

I have seen PIX of panels that have the BCS and the relays in the same box. For a couple of reasons I want my BCS more accessible as I have limited wall space for the control panel which I want to mount out of the way. I plan to have my BCS 462 in a box all by itself with the wall wart and all the relays remote in another box. I do plan to run my 12vdc power from the same circuit as the BCS wall wart and run a grounding wire between both boxes connected to a standard ground bar. Power for the relays will come off separate circuits.
The boxes will be about 14 feet apart.
My PID Display Modules (7 Digit Ext. Display) will be in their own enclosures above what they are measuring.
I plan to add this http://sandboxelectronics.com/?product= ... 715-module to my I2C communications.
I have purchased the panel mount M12 for the temperature probes. I plan to use Cat5e shield cables to connect to the M 12 Panel Mounts. A standard M12 Patch cable will run to the probes.
Can I have these (M12 panel Mounts as the wires are not shielded on those ) in the same box as the relays or should I put them in their own box?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Getting Close to Build

Post by JonW »

Yes, temp probes together with the low voltage relays is no problem.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Here is a diagram of my BCS 462 Panel.

I will have the AC Power on a Lighted Pilot Switch. The power is U.P.S. with surge protection.
There will be a standard 115VAC Wall outlet in the box where I will plug in the wall wart. This could be outside the enclosure if needed but I did not see any problems in my tests.
There will be a 14 ga romex tied to the same AC circuit as the BCS Power Supply. I plan to put this switched by the same switch. This is to supply power to any 12 vdc and 24 vdc transformers in the Relay Enclosure. The romex will also supply a common ground for the ground bar in the Relay Enclosure.

I will have 4 Momentary Push button and four locking push button switches on the door of the BCS Panel. These will be wired to the DINs.

I will be using four PID Display Modules (7 Digit Ext. Display) in individual enclosures. The first one (Temp 0) will also have the I2C Extender in it. If Firmware 4.0 has more, I will add additional PID Display Modules.

I plan to use Cat5e shielded cable for both the I2C and the Temp Probes.

The Relay Enclosure will have all my relays and transformers. It will also have M12 Panel Mounts for the Temp Probes.

The wiring for the Outs will be 16 ga shield speaker wire. There are 4 conductors in the jacket.

Any comments or suggestions?
Attachments
BCSBox.png
BCSBox.png (78.33 KiB) Viewed 6845 times
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Progress. Relay Board
Attachments
RelayPanel.JPG
RelayPanel.JPG (40.44 KiB) Viewed 6760 times
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Those big ass heat sinks are not needed for operating pumps and valves. You only need them on high current devices like heating elements.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Yeah, But they really look cool. :lol:

We may eventually go All Electric. Some time ago we purchased a 20 gallon brew kettle. We debated on getting a 30. we should have gone with the 30. Same here. Bigger is Better (in the long run).
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Also they are DIN Rail Ready!!

Basically the same price with or without the Heat Sink at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087Z ... UTF8&psc=1

They also come with a cover which is better.
The real splurge was a monster Heat Sink on the enclosure, but if we ever go 240 vac Elements, we will need it.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Just Ordered a 9.2 gal Stout Electric Kettle with a Tangental Inlet. I am planning on using the PID function to control the Element. I use a Chin Chiller (Wort on the Inside and HLT on the Outside) as a HERMS and this has worked very well as a method of controlling my MASH Temp which I have been doing by adjusting the flame on the HLT. I will use Temp0 (MLT Inlet) averaged with Temp1 (MLT Outlet) to control the new Electric HLT Element.

Any comments or suggestions? :D