BCS Will Not Save Settings

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
RonRock
Bot?: No

BCS Will Not Save Settings

Post by RonRock »

Trying to set up my system. First off it will not seem to hold a static IP. I have unchecked Enable DHCP and put in a working IP. It works sometimes then for no apparent reason it reverts to DHCP and I have to search for it.

In Manual Mode it will not latch and hold an SSR to keep my burner open. It will show "Direct On" but will not keep the SSR latched. When it switches to Direct On the gas valve will sometimes start to activate the igniter (sometimes not) but after a short time the igniter stops and the BCS still shows Direct On. I can jumper the load side of the SSR and make the burner light, but as soon as I open the jumper it goes off.

I'm using a Crydom D2425 as shown on the BCS site. It is rated at DC in 3-32, AC out 24-280. My burner transformer is 24 volt AC.

I have also noticed that most times when I make a selection I have to do it several times to make it happen.

Any suggestions?
BCS Portland

Re: BCS Will Not Save Settings

Post by BCS Portland »

I am so far from being an expert on this kind of stuff but the first & only thought I have is what browser are you using? Firefox is the choice to use, IE worked for me the one time I tried it but with some strange things, that's why I wonder about it.

If that is not it, wait for the pro response.

Good luck.
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

Firefox 3.5.7

Good point I should have had that in my post.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Hey RonRock,

How are you connected to the BCS-460? Are you connected directly to the BCS-460 or are you running this through a router? Try connecting directly to the BCS-460 if not already doing so.

Can you verify that you are wired correctly? Make sure you are using the out0, out1, etc and the other side is connected to the ground.

Are you testing the gas valves in the live environment or are you dropping a meter over the load side? I ask this because the SSR takes a load to work properly and will not test with a meter unless a load is applied.
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

Thanks, I have tried with the BCS connected directly to my computer as well as through my router. Same issues either way, although things do seem faster when directly connected. As expected. I'm certain things are wired correctly. I've spent much time tracing and retracing my wires.

I have the BCS connected to my brewery now. If I short the Load side of the SSR (or take the SSR out of the system) the burner will work as expected. I have the SSR + going to Out 0, SSR - to Ground. BCS Ground to Ground. All system Ground's are common.

One more thing.

Should there be any indication when I have clicked "Apply, or Refresh"? Like an hourglass or the spinning icon. On mine I have no way to know if anything is happening or how long to wait.

Here is my Gas Control wiring;

Basically I have the BCS connected as Thermostat.

Fixed drawing. Removed error.

gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Wiring looks good to me. What about narrowing this down to the relay? Do you have another SSR to change out and try? The BCS460 does not have an hour glass. That is one thing I wish it had. There is no notification that what you saved has actually been saved. Have you confirmed that the out0 is activated and assigned to your button? I assume it is since you have been able to get it to work at some point but....

Just some additional ideas.
Last edited by gbrewer on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

I appreciate the ideas. I'll be off work in a few hours, I'll spend some more time on it.

I actually have 3 burners connected to the BCS with the same wiring pattern. All have the same issue, that "should" mean that the SSR's are at least all doing the same.

I did a bit of reading today over at HBT and one thing I'm going to check, that my BCS ground is isolated from the common ground. CodeRage suggests calling BCS ground 0VDC and to keep it separate. There is a possibility of "electrical noise" in the BCS ground (0VDC) if the grounds are all common.

One thing I have done in my diagnostic attempts is make sure all grounds are common.
ECC

Post by ECC »

The best way to be sure that the settings are applied is to do a 'Refresh' immediately after the 'Apply'.