Pre-planning stages of BCS based homebrewery

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
pngaudioguy
Bot?: No

Re: Pre-planning stages of BCS based homebrewery

Post by pngaudioguy »

oakbarn wrote: The BCS 460 is $179, the 462 is $279. You will need to buy 4 PIDs for the BCS 460 and 6 PIDs for the BCS 462 to break even. You will still likely need SSRs for the Aubrins PIDs to control a heating source so that is a wash. You would likely need an enclosure for either the BCS or PIDs.

3 PIDs will cost you $139. The Timer ?. The BCS is only $40 more less the cost of the Timer, not $200.
If you look at just the cost of the PID's and timer, yes the cost difference is basically a wash, since the timer is $42.32. In my "brew rig" calculation, I was also considering that I would have to purchase 2 extra SSR's and heatsinks for the pumps with the BCS system, plus an outlet to go in the box for the BCS, etc. This also was based on my two boxes concept designed above where the BCS would live in a separate enclosure from the brew panel so that I wouldn't have to move it to switch between brew and ferment mode, which would be what I'd do if I go the BCS route. There's also the added cost of the cabling to connect data signals from the brew or ferment panel back to the BCS box and associated interconnects... My spreadsheet has all the parts needed for both systems, and that's a total system parts difference based on my setup for each.

So with your PID setup, it was only a pain because of the way you had it configured, right?

My brewing process right now is to print out my recipe sheet at the start of the day. I take measurements throughout the day and annotate them in the appropriate boxes on my page. Everything's laid out from top to bottom on the sheet, and I just work through in order. If a box is empty, that means I need to take that measurement next. It doesn't keep track of the minute by minute variations, but the point of either of these systems is that those will be fairly miniscule anyway. Yes, it means a little more interaction on my part, but that's a part of the process I'm already used to. Even if I get a BCS, I'll still keep printing the recipe sheet and logging the data, then filing it in my brew binder in order. That way I can go back and review the beers I've made, and see how they progressed on different attempts, etc.

Again, I can absolutely see the benefit of the data logging for the fermentation processes, there's no doubt there, since that's a non-interactive process where you wake up in the morning and have no clue what happened for the last 8 hours, for instance.

I guess I don't see the inherent issue with one PID controlling one item independent of anything else. That's how my BCS system as designed would work, too. The HLT PID only cares what the HLT temp is. The mash recirculates through the HERMS in the HLT maintaining that same temp, while constantly filtering so that I get super clear wort. For mashout, again, the HLT PID only sees one temp input. The BK is the same, in that once I transfer the wort in, it starts out at 100% duty cycle until close to boil, then it turns down.

Here is one of the only advantages I'm seeing right now to a BCS system for my brew day process. Instead of an alarm going off indicating that the system is about to boil, and I have to push a button to turn the duty cycle down, the system would still send the alarm but automatically adjust the duty cycle as well.

You keep mentioning the alarm as if I'm overlooking it. What does the alarm do differently than the PID and timer alarm circuits do?

What about when the software developers decide to change the way something works? Like the temp averaging thing you were using prior to firmware v4, for instance. Now you have to go and rework all your processes because somebody else decided how you should use your system. Granted, a PID system is much simpler to start with, but maybe that's why I'm drawn to it - because of the simplicity.

As to recalling recipes, there are only 2 beers that I make repeatedly as my go-to have on tap beers. The rest of the time I'm trying something new out anyway. So, that would save some time the once a month I brew those, I guess, but the rest of the time I'd still have to configure a new recipe on the BCS, or enter timer and temp values on the PID rig so to me that's basically a wash.

You're right the BCS is way cooler. Especially if I buy a TW700 and set it in the panel, which would eliminate needing to drag the computer into the brew area for brew days and find somewhere it won't get wet. But I'm not building a brewing rig for the cool factor. I'm building it for brewing. My buddies are more than happy to help drink my beer, but nobody's ever come over for more than one brew day. Maybe a bling factor brew rig would change that, I don't know, but I'm not going to count on it.
BrunDog

Post by BrunDog »

Hi Guys,

First post here, but have been lurking for a while. I am in the process of building my personal brewery in stages. In fact, every time I brew, I learn something and make hardware changes/improvements for the next time. Recently transitioned from stovetop BIAB to larger electric BIAB, now to multi-kettle w/RIMS and BCS. I love the BCS concept as it will allow for continued eveolution into more automation without burning bridges of dedicated control hardware (e.g. PIDs). In this planning phase, I had one question that research couldn't seem to completely answer, so I thought I would seek feedback.

What are your thoughts about going to a 2 kettle system rather than three? I would eliminate the HLT and just use a well-powered RIMS element for heating MLT water and on-demand sparge water. It would still require 2 pumps. But one less kettle and supporting hardware would make a difference in hardware, cost, complexity, cleaning (though not much for HLT). BTW the BK is 15 gallon with a 5500W element, the MLT would be 15 gal, and the RIMS would be 4500W. I already ran 240V/50A, but in concept it only needed to be a 30A supply as this could function powering only one element at a time. Anybody have experience doing this or think it would be successful or unsuccessful?

I have an undersink RO system that I use for water. Since it produces water slowly, I begin to draw off water a gallon or two at a time a few days prior to brew day. I put that in a large bottling bucket as my storage reservoir. I then transfer to my kettles (main and sparge) and treat them with salt additions there. My thought is that I would just treat the water in the bucket, then feed it to the pump to load the MLT through the RIMS tube (with RIMS heat on) until the MLT reaches the required volume, then begin recirculating with the RIMS tube on until the MLT reaches dough-in temp. Then after mashing I would pump the runnings into the BK at the same time pump additional sparge water into the MLT through the RIMS tube on the fly (pun intended). I would eventually add a float switch and just let the BCS control the flow into (or out of) the MLT by controlling the pumps on/off.

The one problem I forsee with this setup (based on this video: http://youtu.be/0AGUOCeM-WUd) is that the PID parameters for the mash recirculation would need to be very different than the parameters for the on-demand sparge water. Based upon the screenshots, I see that each output has its own set PID parameters which I do not think can be changed on the fly) , so I am thinking I would just tie two outputs together, and in the logic use the one that is responsible for the operation at that time.

Any thoughts/feedback are sincerely appreciated.

-BD
pngaudioguy

Post by pngaudioguy »

BrunDog wrote:Hi Guys,

First post here, but have been lurking for a while. <snip>

Great first post, and welcome!

What are your thoughts about going to a 2 kettle system rather than three? I would eliminate the HLT and just use a well-powered RIMS element for heating MLT water and on-demand sparge water. It would still require 2 pumps. But one less kettle and supporting hardware would make a difference in hardware, cost, complexity, cleaning (though not much for HLT). BTW the BK is 15 gallon with a 5500W element, the MLT would be 15 gal, and the RIMS would be 4500W. I already ran 240V/50A, but in concept it only needed to be a 30A supply as this could function powering only one element at a time. Anybody have experience doing this or think it would be successful or unsuccessful?

My thoughts are that if you like RIMS, it sounds like a great idea. I like the thermal mass that the HERMS adds, personally. Many consider it a flaw, whereas to me it adds temp stability. I think the cost/complexity would be a better point than cleaning because as you point out an HLT isn't going to get all that dirty. A 4500W RIMS is pretty serious wattage! Don't most guys run 1500-2000W? I imagine you'd be able to have a decent sized RIMS chamber and actually achieve your intended "fly sparge RIMS water temps." You'll have to keep an eye on the flow rate to hit your sparge temp, of course. It doesn't fall within the 80% typical design guideline, but something to consider is that with a 50A circuit, you actually could run the 5500 + 4500 elements simultaneously if you want...

<snip>

The one problem I forsee with this setup (based on this video: http://youtu.be/0AGUOCeM-WUd) is that the PID parameters for the mash recirculation would need to be very different than the parameters for the on-demand sparge water. Based upon the screenshots, I see that each output has its own set PID parameters which I do not think can be changed on the fly) , so I am thinking I would just tie two outputs together, and in the logic use the one that is responsible for the operation at that time.

I don't know that much about PID parameters yet, so can't help on this part, though there's some very knowledgeable folks on here who can. You might want to consider starting your own thread with the questions to get more eyes on it, since my thread is several months old and likely not as heavily visited at this point.

Any thoughts/feedback are sincerely appreciated.

-BD
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Have you considered a Chinzilla as a HERMS in stead of RIMs? If you have a place to store water, you could use the bk to heat the sparge. The only issue with that is that you must move the sparge before moving the Mash Wort unless you do a no sparge mash
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

BrunDog wrote:Hi Guys,

-BD
One of the issues that I saw with the RIMs video for Sparge is the opposite that I have. It seems that you are heating such a small amount that a PID is going all over the place. With my system, I try to make sure that I do not have too much water in my HLT because it is hard to move an elephant. But in the RIMs you are trying to move an ant with a Bull dozer. As I said in my other post, you can do a two kettle if you do a no sparge session. It takes about 25% more grain and that would eventually "buy" your third kettle. We actaully have a 5 kettle system as we normally do two brews at the same time. But even when we are doing one, we use 4. We have a small 9 gallon Stout Electric Kettle for the HERMS Bath (an nothing else). Our HLT is propane (I wish it was electric!) We use a Chinzilla as a herms that also takes two pumps. We cycle the small HLT water on the outside and the Wort on the inside tube. If you are just starting, you could use that as a chiller after the boil. Works very well with the BCS. We have three probes in our MLT (HERMS In, HERMS Out, and the MLT Body). Not to long they all match. I love the BCS and the graphical interface. I got a "free" large screen LED that had lost it's sound that I have in the brew room and just cast the BCS up to it. With the new 4.0, I can also see all my processes and my next logical step (Yes, I know that there is no next logical, but with the new interface, I set my processes up in Order of my logic). The BCS can take you places and make your brew day simpler.

I know lots use a RIMs, but I do not want my WORT passing over a hot element. I perfer the passive heat of the double boiler HERMS.
BrunDog

Post by BrunDog »

I agree on the bulldozer analogy, but would be counting on the sensitive PID tuning to offset it. Hence, one of the reasons for my question. This strategy does not prevent me from adding the HLT after. For now, I am would like to stay with RIMS in order to simplify the hardware. I just wanted to know if anyone with 2 kettle experience/direct sparge/BCS programming saw any major flaws or incompatibilities with this setup.

-BD
pngaudioguy

Post by pngaudioguy »

Hm. Reworked my panel idea again. So, here's concept "I", I think I'm up to... This one goes with everything controlled from a touchscreen embedded in the panel (WinBook TW700 @$79.99 from Amazon.) There's still a key power, emergency stop, alarm buzzer and physical reset button for the alarm. The row under the panel are just LED's indicating if power is being sent to a certain device. All control would take place from the touchscreen.

Here's the kicker. I reworked my spreadsheet with the new layout sans switches, etc, and added an extra PID to that option to compensate for being able to monitor the temp on the output of the plate chiller. Price difference between the systems is within $25. It's really going to come down to do I want to push on a screen, or turn a knob... Dang it - I was hoping it would be a simpler decision once I ran the numbers!
pngaudioguy

Post by pngaudioguy »

Ok, build is getting really close now! Less than 3 months until I start assembly. Aside from "exact" control placements, I think this is going to be the panel. As I was talking it over with my wife she says, "Why not just do both?" "Because it'll be more expensive," I say. To which she asks, "How much?" An hour and some Excel time later, and I have the answer. "$134.96 more." Uh, no brainer!
The PID on the right has an integrated timer (which can also be used independent of the temp setting.) So that'll work for timing mash and boil if the BCS fails or I just feel like going manual mode. The PID on the left is the more basic PID / manual % setting only. The row under the PID's are illuminated 3-way switches (BCS / Off / Manual). The element switches will have an additional contact on the manual side to supply power to the PID's themselves, so they'll be un-powered unless I select manual. The element selector is a non-illuminated 3 way switch (Boil / Off / HLT) that will trigger the 63A dual pole contactor for the appropriate element. That provides the electrical safety that the non-powered element doesn't even have either leg hot. The E-stop will be wired with a normally closed contact that powers the element selector, as well as the trigger for a lower wattage contactor for the pumps. All control circuitry will stay active, but with no output possible on either element or the pumps until the E-stop is reset.

I haven't thought through the alarm wiring yet to decide whether to try and incorporate that as part of the manual mode, or just accept that I have to look at the light on the PID's. It seems like it might be a bit complex to wire otherwise...
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

When you are talking about PID1 & PID2, are you talking about stand alone PID units? The whole point of the BCS is to incorporate the functionality of multiple PID units into one system. You also made a statement about "if the BCS fails".... you would be hard pressed to find anyone that had a failure during a brew day that required a separate PID system. The whole point of the BCS is to incorporate the logic of several PID's with the added benefit of processes/states, timers, inputs, etc. Adding external PID's with the BCS is really pointless. Even if the logic you coded into the BCS wasn't doing what you wanted, you could still go manual mode on the BCS and get your brew day done. I'm really thinking you're over complicating what you need here.
pngaudioguy

Post by pngaudioguy »

JonW,

You're right. I'm over-complicating it. I've been told I have a tendency to do that. I work in IT and don't trust computers, even embedded ones. Things fail - maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday. When they do, $100 is really cheap insurance per my book. :) If I never ever use those PID's, then oh well. When I'm looking at $2.5-3k for the whole system, the extra $100 is really negligible.