Reset Butto

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
JonW
Site Admin
Bot?: No

Re: Reset Butto

Post by JonW »

My guess is that the board was just flipped over. If you remove both end covers, you can reinsert the board and the button would have been next to the hole.
DerpyDerp

Post by DerpyDerp »

I tried flipping it over, but then I couldn't get the screws to line back up and it threw the pin diagram out of whack and I was worried that I might ruin the sticker by removing it. Drilling the hole was quick and easy. No big deal.

I'm looking forward to learning how to program my new toy.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Not sure if you need to drill a new hole. I have two and once you find the "sweet spot", it is easy to find again. Both are exactly the same place. It is directly back with about a 3 degree "Up" with a blunted toothpick. I suggest that if you are trying to reset that you try with no wires or the power supply attached until you find the button. You can feel the button depress but it is very easy to miss. You need to "meditate" a bit before trying as you are likely in a "fizzy" when you wish to reset. It is much more likely you do not need to really do a factory reset. It is always somewhat frustrating to try to connect to the BCS the first time and you assume you need to do a reset. You likely are only confusing yourself. The BCS comes with the factory defaults already set and unless changed something, it still is set to the defaults and a reset will not help. In my mind, the only time I might do a reset now is if I was trying to set a static IP and it was not connecting after I set it. If you have not connecting, I would check all of my wires and restart my router first. If everyting checked out, then I made an error entering the Static IP and would reset to DCHP.

In my case, the BCS finder does not work so s I have to manually start enetering IP Addresses to find the BCS.

There needs to be better documentaion about connecting the BCS the first time. It is a regular topic in the forum. I assumed my BCS needed to be reset and because of not knowing what I was doing, I confused my self very well. It took me four days the first time I connected to the BCS. it can be a PITA. I reset it dozens of times and because it was already at the factory defaukts, I was wasting my time.
DerpyDerp

Post by DerpyDerp »

As I explained earlier, the hole was drilled next to the Cat5 connector; the reset button is on the opposite side of the circuit board. I drilled a new hole because I couldn't get the screws to line up after changing the orientation of the board. It would also have messed up the mapping of the sticker pinout diagram to the physical connectors. Drill another hole was the easiest solution.

I'm fairly adept at networking and using TFTP, so I was able to connect to the BCS in a matter of seconds. But when I tried to turn off DHCP and enter a static IP address, I lost all connectivity to the device. I needed to do a reset because I could not see its MAC address on my router, so I had no way to reconnect to it. I don't know exactly what I did, but the only way to reestablish the connection was to do a 15-second reset. It grabbed an address via DHCP immediately and this time I was able to disable DHCP and enter a static IP with no trouble.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

That is odd but could happen. I have 2 and the reset button is right where it should be. I have had to do a 15 second reset after messing up the Static IP. I assume I made an error entering the new address as it worked fine every other time I did it. I move my BCS between networks and the IPs third oclet is different between the networks so I am resetting it with a factory reset when I move between the two differnt routers (Different town!)

I always reset to a static IP, albeit different on the different routers.

I cannot get the BCS finder to work on either network but can get it to work on another standalone router that is not connected to the internet. It was working then suddenly no longer worked. I had not done anything to my network to cause it to stop, it just did.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

oakbarn wrote:I cannot get the BCS finder to work on either network but can get it to work on another standalone router that is not connected to the internet. It was working then suddenly no longer worked. I had not done anything to my network to cause it to stop, it just did.
Are you sure you're using the latest Finder? The newer 4.0 builds use a different finder then previous ones due to a change in the way the broadcast is being handled.