Pointing a Website to my BCS

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
mliptack
Bot?: No

Pointing a Website to my BCS

Post by mliptack »

I have a few domains that I own and would like to point a page to the BCS so I can access it from www.mydomain.com/bcs (or something similar).

What is the best way to do this without just forwarding it to the BCS? Preferably I would like to keep users on the original domain.

Additionally, now that I have the BCS wired in to the network and port forwarding has been set up. Where can I find instructions on using Webhop or similar service to prevent my IP from changing and having to reconfigure the whole system?

Thanks, as always, for the help!

Best regards,
Max
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Pointing a Website to my BCS

Post by JonW »

mliptack wrote:I have a few domains that I own and would like to point a page to the BCS so I can access it from http://www.mydomain.com/bcs (or something similar).

What is the best way to do this without just forwarding it to the BCS? Preferably I would like to keep users on the original domain.
If you want the BCS to appear under a URL/folder that is not the root, then you need to do URL rewriting with a web proxy. I do this with IIS, but it can also be done with Apache and others. Basically, the web server takes in the URL request from the external client, rewrites and performs the request to an internal host and sends the data back to the requesting client. It creates a layer between the remote client and the BCS, but in my experience, there hasn't been any performance penalty.
mliptack wrote: Additionally, now that I have the BCS wired in to the network and port forwarding has been set up. Where can I find instructions on using Webhop or similar service to prevent my IP from changing and having to reconfigure the whole system?
Which IP are you looking at preventing from changing? The BCS internal IP or your external internet IP? You can make a DHCP reservation in your router or set a static IP on the BCS so your forwarding rule never needs to change, but the external IP address can't be controlled unless you have static IP addresses from your service provider. You can use DynDNS or other services to automatically update a DNS record when your internet IP address changes. I have no experience with Webhop.
mliptack

Post by mliptack »

Thanks JonW - I will have to check out web proxy online - never heard of it - do you recommend any tutorials?

The BCS has a static IP. I just need to make sure my public/external IP address doesn't change and prevent the connection from occurring. Webhop is the service that was referenced in the BCS Wiki which is why I referenced it, is DynDNS pretty simple to use? When it comes to networks - my knowledge really starts to breakdown. If I get something working it's typically out of sheer luck - so please forgive my ignorance when it comes to the network questions I ask.

Cheers,
Max
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Max, where you go with this is really going to be dictated by what hardware/software you already have in place and your skill set.

Pointing a domain name to your BCS is pretty straight forward, but what you've asked to do is to embed the BCS pages into a sub-folder of your domain name (a web site within a web site) and that will take the work of a proxy. Start with which web server you are using for your domains and then research proxies for that server. This is really outside the realm of the BCS.
mliptack

Post by mliptack »

Will do - thanks for the support!

Sorry if this went off topic of the BCS - that was not my intent, I figured it might have been documented already on the forum, but up to this point I had been unable to find much/if any valuable information on the topic.