Controlling heating elements

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Hitz87
Bot?: No

Controlling heating elements

Post by Hitz87 »

I am trying to grasp how you use the bcs to control an element i understand basic ladder logic. I am not sure how to use the temp sensor to control the element or how to use web interfaces can anyone direct me anywhere,or explain how to use the software to do so?
Hitz87

Re: Controlling heating elements

Post by Hitz87 »

I just want a switch to send to an input which turns on the output for the element but is controoled by the temp sensor
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm sure others will chime in here, but you wouldn’t need to use ladder logic to control the element. With the BCS you can do that with simple processes and states. The BCS has 8 processes you can setup, each with 8 states. Within each state, you choose which outputs you want to control and you can change states based on timers, temperatures, etc.

The BCS is the logic controller. It has DC outputs that you can use to signal and control other devices. In the case of an element, you would wire the element to an SSR (the “switch") and in conjunction with a temperature sensor the BCS will signal the SSR turning the element on and off. As an example, if you are heating water, you can have the element full on until the desired temp is hit, then move on to the next step. In addition to simple on/off control, the BCS has PID functionality so you can effectively control the duty cycle and power level of the element.
Hitz87

Post by Hitz87 »

That is how i set the wiring up basically i guess what i am unsure about is actually doing the states part.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

It's going to be different for everyone, but here is an example of one state (Saccrification Rest) from one process (Mash) from my system (BCS-462 / 4.0 beta 2) for maintaining mash temps. I'm using burners, not elements, so in my case I have an SSR that controls a solenoid. It translates pretty easily to elements though.

During my saccrification rest, I maintain a 148* mash temp. When it drops more than 1*, the burner kicks back on automatically. I'm also running a pump to recirculate the entire time. The mash tun temperature probe is associated to the mash tun burner.

I do this for one hour ("Next Step" countdown timer):

At the end of the one hour, the Mash process stops:

Does that help?