External 7 Segment Display

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
DenningsPoint
Bot?: No

External 7 Segment Display

Post by DenningsPoint »

I purchased 7 Segment displays about a year ago. Now that I am getting around to connecting them, I can't find the instructions on setting the address to 0x2A - 0x2D.

Also, now that the 462 4.0 firmware can control 8 displays, should they be named with the same logic? For example, should the fifth display be 0x2E?

Thanks,

Karl
brahn

Re: External 7 Segment Display

Post by brahn »

I don't have one handy, but IIRC you hold the button on the back when the unit is starting up and it will cycle through the addresses. You stop when it gets to the one you want.

Yes, the default value for the fifth display would be 0x2E. However, in 4.0 you can specify the address for each of the displays, it's not hard coded. This is nice if you accidentally go over by one when you're changing the address. No need to cycle back through all the possible addresses.
brahn

Post by brahn »

I found a copy of the manual for the 7 segment display. This is what it says:

2.4 Setting Module Address

If you are using more than one PID Display Module in your system or you want to change the

target address follow the steps below.

1. Press and hold the button labeled SET ADDRESS on the back of the board.

2. The display will show ADDR and will flash the current address of the board for 5

seconds. Release the button if you do not want to change the address.

3. Continue to hold the button and the address will begin to go up, about one per second.

When the address reaches your desired address just release the button. Addresses

are in hexadecimal so keep that in mind when you see addresses like 2a and 3c.

Generally you should use addresses starting at 20 – 2x for however many displays you

have.

4. The display will flash SAVE ADDR for a few seconds and the new address is saved.

The changes take effect immediately.
duck020

Post by duck020 »

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of rebuilding my control panel and have now incorporated 5 PID display modules (brewers hardware). I am running BCS 462 FW 4.0 Beta 2.

I have been able to get the displays working showing set point and live temp, however there is an excessive delay or more than 5 minutes between web interface update and the PID display update. Has anyone experienced this before and know of a fix?

My initial thoughts are that the EP0 / EXP1 wires are small gauge and running alongside the 240v wires possibly causing some sort of interference?

I am using the i2c 5 pin fingerlatching style connectors and not using the 2pin 12v power header.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Duck
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

duck020 wrote:My initial thoughts are that the EP0 / EXP1 wires are small gauge and running alongside the 240v wires possibly causing some sort of interference?
Normal operation would have the PID displays updating within a second of the BCS display.

If you are running the low voltage wiring right along with the 240V wiring, then yes, I would say there is some interference causing an issue. Most likely, regular communication is barely getting through and only the occasional update is making it to the PID displays. Standard wiring protocols call for keeping low voltage and high voltage wiring separate to minimize interference.
duck020

Post by duck020 »

Hi Jon

Thank you for your response, sorry its taken a while to post my reply. I am still having issues getting the display modules going. Now, I cant get any of them to display anything other than their POST / boot sequence confirming each units address.

Based on your previous reply, I bought some new cable to run the connections along a different route between the BCS and the display modules which is now segregating the connection from any 240v by about 3 inches.. The new cabling is 2 x 1 pair, each pair with its own shielding.

I am connecting as per the diagram below (bottom diagram) but just seems like I am not getting data from the BCS. Is there some way I can test the SDA/SCL output terminals on the BCS to confirm that the BCS is not fried? (everything else works fine). Also, I didnt buy the i2c cables from Derrin when I got the modules, so I have had to make up my own. Are there any specifications in terms of wire gauge and length that I need to adhere to? I started with a generic 5 pin header and cable which I have then joined to the shielded pair cabling to make the distance. I'd estimate total wire length to be about 35 inches.

Clearly this is driving me nuts so any help, thoughts, options to try I would greatly appreciate it

cheers

Greg