Controlling multiple elements with single temp probe

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Arches
Bot?: No

Controlling multiple elements with single temp probe

Post by Arches »

All electric brewery, 3bbl, 24KW in HLT and 24KW in BK. If both used together they get 18KW each.
I have a 400amp 3 phase panel that will power this brewery, I'm trying to determine the best config for running this many 6KW elements.
Tanks have 4 ports each for electric elements. (Stout)

How many 6KW elements can I run with a 50a circuit, within code, using 3 phase?
I was considering using the bcs to control multiple 50a circuits and dial back the usage after I've hit my temps in BK and HLT?

Any suggestions or thread that ive missed?
BrunDog

Re: Controlling multiple elements with single temp probe

Post by BrunDog »

Honestly not sure if the 3 phase makes a difference - I dont think it does. But for any circuit = 6000/208= 29A. So... one on each phase, I would think.

-BD
Arches

Post by Arches »

It sounds like I will need one 50a circuit per 6KW element.

If I plan to put four 6KW elements in each of the HLT and the BK, then
1. What configuration options are there for using the 462 to control them without using all of the PMW outlets (6 total)?
2. Can I have the BCS control two of the four elements in either the BK or HLT with PWM for maintaining temp and have the other two elements be controlled by the BCS as on/off to kick start the boil?
3. How do you link multiple outputs (elements) to a single temp probe?
barney the bear

Post by barney the bear »

Very interesting that you can find homebrewers using 3-phase in US (I suppose you live there) - I myself live in Sweden. 3-phase is much more common here. Nearly every modern home here have a 3-phase installation but we use 230/400 V. I suppose you have 120/208 V.

But how are your elements wired - in delta- or wye-configurations? A 3-phase element is actually three elements in one. Wired in delta-way it gives three times higher effect than a wye-configuration. In the wye you use the neutral but not in delta. That means in wye each of the three "loops" actually runs separately on 120V. In delta all the "loops" run together on 208V.

Does each of your elements give 6000W in a delta- or in a wye-configuration? You have to know that to figure out the need for amps. If you multiply the need for amps in the wye-configuration with the square root of 3 (~1,7) you will get the need for amps in the delta.
http://phasetechnologies.com/phaseconve ... ltawye.htm

You can use a 3-phase SSR or three one-phase SSR:s on one PWM-outlet.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=105
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

you could have 240V high leg 3-phase, where between any two legs is 240V, between either of two of the legs and neutral is 120V, and the third gives you 208... that is what I have, makes things interesting...
barney the bear

Post by barney the bear »

How electric power can be distributed i US seems to be a bit complicated. It is easier to be an amateur over here. And not such a big need for fat wires (3-phase and higher voltage can reduce that ;) ).