New to ecc

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Cbarker777
Bot?: No

New to ecc

Post by Cbarker777 »

I am trying to build a system like the brew boss can I do it with the BCS-460 Brewery Control System? Also if I understand correctly I basically need to build a control panel and then wire the BCS-460 Brewery Control System
to work along with the switches and displays I have?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: New to ecc

Post by JonW »

A control panel is not at all required. Many people use the web UI (myself included) for all brew day control. You would usually create some type of enclosure to contain your relays that the BCS controls, but even that isn't always required as you could use power relays like the "PowerSwitch Tail" that simply needs a pair of control wires hooked up to the BCS.

I have no idea what a brew boss does, but if you want to ask specific questions about your "switches" and "displays", fire away.
Cbarker777

Post by Cbarker777 »

So I could have my power in then bcs and then ssr and pump relays and just run it from a browser? so my box does not have to be very big then. do you run into connection issues often? Can you connect wirelessly or is it wired with a crossover cable? If you have not figured out I know little about this system the final question for now would be is there a resource to use to show me how to wire this up. I will only have one element and one pump.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Correct, you do not need a large control panel - just an enclosure for your relays will suffice. You can see some wiring examples in the Wiki and here on the forum.

The BCS has a hard wired ethernet connection that is completely reliable - you don't run into disconnect issues. We suggest plugging directly into your router for the easiest configuration and most reliable connection. If you want to go wireless or direct connect, you start introducing complexities with your networking and that is where people start to run into issues. If you don't have experience in networking, I suggest just plugging into the router.