TFTP Assistance Needed

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Viejo
Bot?: No

TFTP Assistance Needed

Post by Viejo »

OK, I need help. I downloaded the bcs460.bin file attached to the initial post, then my computer asked what app to use to open it, and I had no idea. Sorry, not an IT person, could really use some specific instructions. Very anxious to use the new interface on my BCS462.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS 4.0.0 firmware released

Post by JonW »

Viejo wrote:OK, I need help. I downloaded the bcs460.bin file attached to the initial post, then my computer asked what app to use to open it, and I had no idea. Sorry, not an IT person, could really use some specific instructions. Very anxious to use the new interface on my BCS462.
Your computer does not directly open the file. You need to use a TFTP server program that you run on your computer which the BCS then connects to in order to receive the file. Here is one such program: http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

From the manual, here's a brief explanation http://docs.embeddedcc.com/settings/ :
Firmware Upgrade
To upgrade your BCS to the latest firmware, you must use TFTP which is a simple program used to transfer files on the local network. There are several free TFTP servers available on the Internet. Download the firmware file to your computer and follow the instructions for setting up your chosen TFTP server. Enter the IP address of your TFTP server in the IP Address box and click the Upgrade button. Once the download is complete, the BCS will take a few minutes to install the upgrade and reboot. Be sure to back-up your configuration before you upgrade.
Viejo

Post by Viejo »

JonW wrote:
Viejo wrote:OK, I need help. I downloaded the bcs460.bin file attached to the initial post, then my computer asked what app to use to open it, and I had no idea. Sorry, not an IT person, could really use some specific instructions. Very anxious to use the new interface on my BCS462.
Your computer does not directly open the file. You need to use a TFTP server program that you run on your computer which the BCS then connects to in order to receive the file. Here is one such program: http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

From the manual, here's a brief explanation http://docs.embeddedcc.com/settings/ :
Firmware Upgrade
To upgrade your BCS to the latest firmware, you must use TFTP which is a simple program used to transfer files on the local network. There are several free TFTP servers available on the Internet. Download the firmware file to your computer and follow the instructions for setting up your chosen TFTP server. Enter the IP address of your TFTP server in the IP Address box and click the Upgrade button. Once the download is complete, the BCS will take a few minutes to install the upgrade and reboot. Be sure to back-up your configuration before you upgrade.
Something is missing. I downloaded a version of tftp32.jonin.net program (standard zip, then extracted it) and its installer (because that seemed to make sense), but there were no instructions for using it. I then downloaded the .bin file (again), but again, no instructions appeared. Very frustrating. So far, not an auspicious beginning for a promised update that is supposed to be easier to use.
BrunDog

Post by BrunDog »

I agree the upgrade instructions could/should be more explicit/detailed. We probably take it for granted because we have been upgrading beta's for a while.

I am not familiar with the aforementioned TFTP program, but understand that what you are running is a server (host) application, which is meant to serve (aka provide) a declared package (file) when requested. So you run the server, then go to the BCS and invoke the Upgrade functions, upon which it will contact the server and request the upgrade file. Once the BCS has the package (.bin file) it will reboot and install/run this new firmware. After this it ill be in a factory reset configuration. This is why we recommend you backup your existing setup before upgrading, then you can restore it once upgraded.

Hope that helps explain the process at a high level.

-BD
Viejo

Post by Viejo »

BrunDog wrote:I agree the upgrade instructions could/should be more explicit/detailed. We probably take it for granted because we have been upgrading beta's for a while.

I am not familiar with the aforementioned TFTP program, but understand that what you are running is a server (host) application, which is meant to serve (aka provide) a declared package (file) when requested. So you run the server, then go to the BCS and invoke the Upgrade functions, upon which it will contact the server and request the upgrade file. Once the BCS has the package (.bin file) it will reboot and install/run this new firmware. After this it ill be in a factory reset configuration. This is why we recommend you backup your existing setup before upgrading, then you can restore it once upgraded.

Hope that helps explain the process at a high level.

-BD
Sorry, this isn't really helpful either. I have the tftp program downloaded, and I can open it, but I don't know how to "run the server, then go to the BCS and invoke the Upgrade functions." Can you please explain this to me in a step-by-step manner? The high level explanation is over my head.
BrunDog

Post by BrunDog »

Sorry, I do not have this TFTP server... I have the original one recommended by ECC. Perhaps JonW or another can post up the step by step to get it running. Once it is running correctly, you navigate to your BCS (as normal, via a web browser), then go to settings and upgrade firmware.

-BD
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Viejo wrote:Sorry, this isn't really helpful either. I have the tftp program downloaded, and I can open it, but I don't know how to "run the server, then go to the BCS and invoke the Upgrade functions." Can you please explain this to me in a step-by-step manner? The high level explanation is over my head.
I will try to do up a step by step to assist you with this. In the mean time, please review this video and see if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAh3DkmxG8g
brewmasterbrad

Post by brewmasterbrad »

The directions were purposely vague in the documentation since not everyone will be using the same TFTP server, but they should all work basically the same. Most of them will already be running in server mode when you start them. Then you must tell the TFTP server which folder your .bin file is in. This is usually called the root folder or the TFTP folder by the TFTP program. Once you have done that, you need to go to the BCS and go to the Settings page. Go to the Firmware Upgrade section, enter the IP address of your TFTP server (this is the IP address of the computer on which your TFTP server is running) and click the Upgrade button. That's it. Just give it a couple minutes to load.
Viejo

Post by Viejo »

JonW -- Thanks for the video. I was doing fine until he started using command prompts. Yikes!
Can't wait for your step-by-step instructions! If you prefer that I download a more familiar TFTP server so you can provide specific details, I'm happy to do it. I sure hope the new BCS user interface is easier to follow than the setup instructions.
brahn

Post by brahn »

Everything you need to follow from the video is covered before he gets to the command prompts. Plus, you don't need to do the stuff in the command prompt. The stuff he does in the command prompt is what the BCS will do when you hit the firmware upgrade button.