TFTP Assistance Needed

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Viejo
Bot?: No

Re: TFTP Assistance Needed

Post by Viejo »

In the video, what does he mean by "we can actually serve out any files that were in that directory"? That's when he runs over to the command prompt. I took a guess and used the browse button to access the directory where I saved the bcs bin file, selected the directory, but I didn't know what to do then. The TFTP tool has no button to initiate an action. I can't change the IP address in the Server Interface drop-down to the address of my BCS. The TFTP Client button shows where I can type in values for "Host", "Port", "Local File", "Remote File", etc., but no logical combination of addresses appears to work. Really, this is a totally different language than I'm accustomed to. Is it too much to ask for step-by-step English instructions?
brahn

Post by brahn »

I can't give you step by step instructions that would be reliable because I don't have a PC running windows, so I've never actually done this process. One thing to note is that the upgrade process has to be initiated from the BCS. It pulls the upgrade firmware from the PC, not the other way around.

From what I saw watching the video, if you already selected the directory with the bcs460.bin in the TFTP server all you should have to do is go to the BCS, click the firmware upgrade button and put in the IP address of your PC (shown in the TFTPd as Server Interface) when it asks for the TFTP server.
Viejo

Post by Viejo »

More encounters with unintelligible language: The instructions from the BCS Upgrade Mode button say: "Please enter the IP address of the computer that will host the firmware update. Hint: from a command line, use the command 'ipconfig' [wtf???]. If connected directly, IP should start with 169.254.xx.xx. If networked, IP should be 192.168.xx.xx or similar."

The Server Interface shown on my TFTP server thing-y is 10.0.0.4 , in other words, nothing like the "hint". When I put that in, nothing happens.

C'mon guys. All I want to do is brew! I don't need a course on advanced IT crap!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

OK, let's see if this will get you there.

- Before upgrading your BCS, ensure that you have backed up all your 3.x settings/processes.

- Put the file bcs460.bin in the same folder where you have the program TFTPD32.exe. Make sure the downloaded firmware has the name bcs460.bin or it will not load to the BCS controller. It does not matter if your controller is a 462 as the filename is the same.

- Start your TFTP32 program. Verify that at the top it shows the current directory as the place where you put the bcs460.bin file.

- Click on the "Server Interfaces" drop down box at the top. There should only be one address listed there - that is your PC's IP address. If you have more than one address listed here, then you need to select the one that is on the same network with the BCS.

- Click on the "Settings" button at the bottom of the screen. On the "Global" tab, make sure that ONLY "TFTP Server" is checked to start. That should be the only check made on that screen - uncheck anything else.

- Click on the tab titled "TFTP". You should not need to set anything on this tab as the defaults should work for you. However, you should ensure that a few of the settings are correct. The "base directory" setting is the same as the "current directory" where you have your bcs460.bin file and the setting "Bind to this address" is the same IP address that you already set on the prior screen. Click OK to return to the main screen.

- At this point, the TFTP server is running and waiting for a device to request a file. The BCS is that device and the file it will need to request is the bcs460.bin file.

- Open your web browser and bring up the BCS. Go to the "Settings" page and in the "Firmware Upgrade" section, enter the IP address of your PC, then click upgrade.

- At this point, the BCS should be requesting the file from the TFTP server program. If you click on the TFTP program in your task bar, you should be able to see the file transfer progress. It may take a minute or two to transfer the image to the BCS. The BCS will reset and you should see the web browser screen refresh once it has completed.

- You can now use the BCS 3.x Config Migrator utility to move your configuration to the new firmware version. You will need to go through your processes and states and ensure that everything converted correctly and make any adjustments necessary.

- Once your version 4.0 configuration is set the way you want it, make a backup. You will not need to use the config migrator again for any future updates.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

how hard would it be to code the BCS load the .bin file from this forum?

It could be as simple as you provide the link and having the user cut and paste....

It could be as feature filled as having the BCS load a script from a predetermined location, prompt the user for which version, then downloading via http, then having the user copy and paste the hash/checksum to ensure they are getting a valid file, and rebooting....

-mike
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I just completed the update from the Beta to to Production and I had issues with the TFTP.

1. The main issue was caused by my Firewall.
2. A Secondary issue was caused by some temp files of the TFTP server.

I ran CC Cleaner and turned off my Firewall and it was easy. I use TFTP Util as it pops up the address I need to put into the BCS IP Address in the Firmware Update section of Setting (This was an issue with the TEMP Files of the TFTP Util till I got rid of them with CC Cleaner.)

On another note, my DCHP Server (Verison FIOS Router) changed the address of the BCS. It was 192.XXX.X.100 but is now 192.XXX.X.211. I did nothing but the firmware update, an I thougth that due to the MAC Address, it should have assigned 192.XXX.X.100 again.

I agree that it would be nice to have a simpler method of firmware updates.
brahn

Post by brahn »

clearwaterbrewer wrote:how hard would it be to code the BCS load the .bin file from this forum?

It could be as simple as you provide the link and having the user cut and paste....

It could be as feature filled as having the BCS load a script from a predetermined location, prompt the user for which version, then downloading via http, then having the user copy and paste the hash/checksum to ensure they are getting a valid file, and rebooting....

-mike
The BCS bootloader only supports TFTP for upgrades and the bootloader is not user replaceable. So for the time being we are limited to TFTP.
BrunDog

Post by BrunDog »

FW upgrades do not come but once every couple of years in general, so this is not really a huge issue. Nice upgrade... yes. But big fish to fry... no.

Would much rather have the developer's energies put into main screen temp changes! Oops, I did it again!

-BD
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

BrunDog wrote:FW upgrades do not come but once every couple of years in general, so this is not really a huge issue. Nice upgrade... yes. But big fish to fry... no.

Would much rather have the developer's energies put into main screen temp changes! Oops, I did it again!

-BD

AMEN!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Temperature and Duty Cycle adjustment on the main screen is actively being worked on.

Please keep this thread dedicated to Viejo's TFTP issues!