Thinking of getting a Jacketed Fermenter

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Re: Thinking of getting a Jacketed Fermenter

Post by oakbarn »

I tried a Decimal swing with an Element. It works very well. The last Graph is PID for comparison. The Others two are Hysteresis with a Swing of 0.1. You can see that the PID short cycles more but has the finer control. I would think that you would want a Minimum of 1 Degree Swing for anything other than an Element if using Hysteresis and that might not be enough for a freezer.
Graph 1 Hysteresis with a Swing of 0.1
Hysteris_graph_0_Point_2.png
Hysteris_graph_0_Point_2.png (47.17 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
Graph 2 Hysteresis with a Swing of 0.1 (After Holding 154.1 for a while)
Hysteris_graph_0_Point_3.png
Hysteris_graph_0_Point_3.png (51.65 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
PID
PID Overshoot.png
PID Overshoot.png (65.86 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Just ordered 30 gallon jacketed conical from Brewer's Hardware! Yahoo!
I
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

oakbarn wrote:Just ordered 30 gallon jacketed conical from Brewer's Hardware! Yahoo!
I
Sweet - congrats!
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Now that I have my new shiny toy, I need to get it working.

Several Questions:
1. What mix of gylcol to water do you use?
2. What pumps would you suggest:
A. When Pumping through the fermenter?
B. When just cycling?

3. How many pumps would you suggest? This is a two zone system. Can One pump handle both zones at the same time. I could have a Valve system that changed the flow depending on what was needed:
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Now that I have my new shiny toy, I need to get it working.

Several Questions:
B. When just cycling?

3. How many pumps would you suggest? This is a two zone system. Can One pump handle both zones at the same time? I could have a Valve system that changed the flow depending on what was needed.

4. Seperate Pump when just recycling or use a Valve System?

The glycol in/outs are 1/4 fpt so I would use 3/8" pex as the supply and returns. I suspect my runs would be about 12 feet from the pump to the fermentor and same for the return.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

oakbarn wrote:Now that I have my new shiny toy, I need to get it working.

Several Questions:
B. When just cycling?

3. How many pumps would you suggest? This is a two zone system. Can One pump handle both zones at the same time? I could have a Valve system that changed the flow depending on what was needed.

4. Seperate Pump when just recycling or use a Valve System?

The glycol in/outs are 1/4 fpt so I would use 3/8" pex as the supply and returns. I suspect my runs would be about 12 feet from the pump to the fermentor and same for the return.
The water/glycol mix you use depends on which glycol you get. I bought -100 glycol and mixed it 1:1 which makes it -50. Here's a good source: http://www.westmarine.com/antifreeze

I use a single submersible pump in my system and two automated ball valves that allows it to supply to either fermenter or both at the same time. Another friend swapped out his submersible pump for a column pump (http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/p ... ber=G20158) and likes it much better. It circulates the glycol in your cooler as it is being cooled and he uses two automated ball valves to feed two fermenters also.

I use 3 temp probes for my system. One is in the glycol bath and triggers the chiller when the bath goes above my setpoint. The other two are each in a fermenter thermowell and trigger the appropriate ball valve to open. I then have ladder logic that turns the pump on when either of the three prior outs are triggered.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I ordered the column pump (http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/p ... ber=G20158) (Totton semi-submersible column pump model SPC42) Not to much $ and has a propeller agitator. Will pump 4.17 gpm and 39,7 foot head. You can remove the agitator. I may have to build a stand for it as it looks like the pick up is with the agitator. It is 120 vac and only 60 watts.

Now to find an old Windows AC Unit!

I am thinking of using Tri Clamps for the PEX so I can disconnect as needed. I want to keep the connections down as Gylcol can be "leaky" according to some pro brew blogs. I will likely not be moving the Conical once in place but you never know :lol: .
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Sort of a bump.

I have my free Windows AC Unit to make the DIY Gylcol Chiller.

I have a Cooler to hold the Glycol bath.

I have ordered the Glycol.

I have the Pump JonW mentioned above.

I have some 12 vdc selnoid valves laying around.

Should I have Ball Valves?
Do I use Hysterersis or PID Control of the Valves?
If Hysterersis, how much of a swing do you use?
I intent to use a 4 degree swing in the glycol bath and have it at 33 degrees under Hysterersis.
The fittings are 1/4 inch FPT on the Conical.
I am thinking of getting these: 1/4 mpT X tc FLANGE
https://www.brewershardware.com/1-1.5-T ... e-NPT.html
Getting Oxygen Barrier 3/8 PEX.
Use this for Conical:
3/8 Hose Barb X tc FLANGE
https://www.brewershardware.com/1-1.5-T ... -Barb.html

Anything wrong with my choices? :oops:
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

You're probably fine with the solenoid valves. I used ball valves because that's what I had.

I wouldn't use TC fittings for the glycol. If you are going to move the fermenter around and want to disconnect the chilling hoses, you need a valved quick disconnect. I'm using these http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... &catid=926

PID is not necessary for something like this. I use hysteresis for the glycol bath and the fermenter temps. You'll minimize a lot of cycling by going with hysteresis.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Odered the plastic QDs. I will not be moving the Fermentor (I hope) as I am too old to be lifting. I have got very good at CIP! I was somewhat worried aboyt TC fittings and others as I know Glycol is quite slipperly. What swing do you use? I was thinking abot 4 degrees on the Glycol Batch and maybe 1 degree F on the Fermentor Glycol valves.,