Much help needed, such noob

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
clearwaterbrewer
Bot?: No

Re: Much help needed, such noob

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

MalcolmBoyce wrote: .................is the output 4-20mA?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

sorry, Malcom, I couldn't resist... I have asked for 4-20mA for a looooong time...
NO, the BCS does DIGITAL OUTPUT of 5 volts, and that is only a trigger, it cannot power the coil of a relay!!!

Malcom - Please carefully read my post again.

Now, respectfully, slow down and read it again, I took a lot of time tailoring the previous response just for you.

Then, after that, here are some answers to your questions:

Programming
This is not a 'typical' PLC, you need to read through the basics on the product and get connected to it via the web interface.
- just the power supply and a network cord to connect to your router/network are all that is required. If you are not familiar with things like DHCP and IP addresses, read the instructions very carefully or get someone that is familiar with networks to help you, you do not want your Craft Brewery to be reliant on the fact that someone on this group is the only person that can help you when your network goes down!

All the programming that is required is in this statement:
" Then, you would program the BCS by going to process editor tab and setting Process 0 be in hysteresis mode, cooling mode, use temp probe 0, and setting your temp."

As for your solenoids being 24V DC:
You will need a separate 24VDC power supply to power your valves.
You will need a way to take the 5v 'trigger' from the BCS and use that to turn on the valve, this is done via a relay or contactor, an SSR can also be used, it is a Solid-State Relay.
If you use a relay or contactor, you must have another source to power the relay coils, the BCS cannot be hooked directly to the mechanical relay coils!. Commonly, this is done via a 'relay board' that has a terminal you supply another power source to. In your case, a 24VDC Relay Board woudl be best... Also important is that the relay board energizes the relay on the input getting a +5v signal, not on the input being grounded. here is a relay board that I linked that fits all the criteria: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-DPDT-Signal-R ... 1e6c957787 The 'electronics-salon' products are almost all compatible with BCS from my experience

In that item, you will see the following, this is what you want in a relay board, that is, a 5v signal will energize the relay.

Input control signal voltage:
0V - 0.5Vdc, low level, relay not action.
0.5V - 2.5Vdc, unknown state.
2.5V - 24Vdc, high level, relay action.

Now, you will connect:
BCS connectors Gnd and Out0 to the board connectors Gnd and IN_A
24v Supply + and - to the board connectors VCC and Gnd

Now, if you have programmed your BCS as above, you will hear the relay click when the thermometer is warmer than your setpoint...

when that works, you will connect the 24VDC to relay A terminal C1, you will connect the valve for fermenter one to ground and to Relay A terminal NO_1
now when you activate the relay, the solenoid will energize.
oakbarn
Bot?: No

Re: Much help needed, such noob

Post by oakbarn »

MalcolmBoyce wrote:
...... We have a beckhoff plc controlling the entire process, I will just add the temps and outputs to the beckhoff PLC.

Thanx for the help guys

Mods can lock

The BCS is its own PLC and I am not sure what you are really trying to do. I am no expert, but I do not think you can "tie" the BCS Probes and Outs to a Beckhoff PLC ( of which I nothing about). The BCS contains all the necessary programming control for fermentors. The normal programing is via a High Level Graphic interface but there is an API library that can be used for some custom programming on your part, but the basic programmimng is "built in" to the device itself in the "firmware". In order to program the BCS, you only need to fill in labels, check boxes, enter Temperatures and make some associations with drop down menus which are all done on a "form" such as the "Process Editor". There is no "progamming" like an Audrino.

For example, this is a screen shot of the "Process Editor"
process editor.png
process editor.png (160.51 KiB) Viewed 1894 times