Automated Valves - Are They Worth It?

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
BrewKaiser
Bot?: No

Automated Valves - Are They Worth It?

Post by BrewKaiser »

I've recently found the ECC forum while researching the BCS controller for my planned brewery upgrade. There's a wealth of helpful info here along with the HBT forums.

I'm designing a new system. I intend to use the BCS462 controller for an all electric system assuming I can run a 50amp service. One area I am looking at is automating valves (both 2 way and 3 way) like the ones offered by Johnson Controls. Given the added cost, slow response, and BCS interface making throttling flows a trial and error process, I'm wondering if it's even worth pursuing. I like the idea of being able to automate certain processes so I can "kick back" or multi-task more on brew day, but in reality my OCD tendencies means I'll likely be standing guard anyway.

I should add that through my business I already source valves from Johnson Control. I'm not so concerned about cost as I am practicality of undertaking the added complexities associated with incorporating automation into the system. So wondering if there is a real benefit to justify the added effort.

The intended system will be a 4 vessel design: HLT, HEX, MLT, and BK. I plan to fabricate the HEX at my business and will be using it to step mash and also as a chiller with iced water coming from HLT. So several different flow paths from each vessel.

Anyone have any experience upgrading from manual to automated valves and care to share your thoughts?

Anyone dive head first into the automated valves never to look back with no regrets?

Thanks in advance.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Automated Valves - Are They Worth It?

Post by JonW »

My current setup uses automated ball valves for the movement of liquid. I like not having to do hose swaps and keeping everything clean. Not only would I build again using automated valves, but I'm finishing up a new rig right now that has even more automated valves. In addition to the automated water/wort movement, I'll be doing auto-fill/clean with fresh water input and CIP/dump valves for output.

The flow issue is something that I've not automated and it's never bothered me. I use a manual ball valve on the return to the kettles to set the flow rate. When fly sparging starts, I set the rates of wort going to the BK and sparge water coming into the MLT. I set it once and rarely adjust it.

If you have access to valves, I'd jump on it!
Pesho77

Post by Pesho77 »

I'm trailing auto valves using an Arduino, and hall sensors to monitor fluid flow, I'm finding there not perfect, the swing on the valves is a bit too much (ie too open then too closed), theres an over run too, but this can be taken care off in the software. These can work very well if you can get the software right.
bryggeri

Post by bryggeri »

JonW, understand on your new system you are using the valves4projects, is there a reason not use the solenoids over ball valves for fluid movement? Seems like the would be easier to keep clean. or does the CR3-03 so you can power of in either open or closed the reason for choosing the ball valves?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Solenoid valves are actually much more difficult to clean due to the way the internals work in them.

Yes, the CR03 wiring is nice to be able to keep the valves in open or closed position. I I do prefer that over the ones that spring shut or use capacitors to close the valves when you remove power.
BrunDog

Post by BrunDog »

You would never successfully get high volume flow with no restriction through a non-piloted solenoid valve. And piloted valves need a good bit of pressure to open them and have extra ports to collect junk. Also, solenoids use much more power than ball valves. The best for brewing is a motorized TC butterfly valve, but these ain't cheaply easy to come by.

-BD
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I use the KLD20S motorized valves as many others and placed hand operated flow/shutoff valves inline with the motorized valve where necessary (after the pumps). These valves come in various voltages both AC & DC. Very economical for stainless steel ball valves. The top has a small indicating window. The only drawback is they don't incorporate limit switches to give feedback of their position. I have purchased both 2-way and 3-way valves from KLD and found they are pretty easy to deal with. These are also full port valves! Solenoid valves usually are not. When I bought the 2-way valves in 2011 they were only $49.95 each. They take anywhere from 3-5 seconds to open or close completely. Production and delivery within 2 weeks after payment (China). I wouldn't use anything else unless they were made here in the USA!

Hope that helps!