Blichmann Low Level Float Switch

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
ukbrewer
Bot?: No

Blichmann Low Level Float Switch

Post by ukbrewer »

Does anyone know if this is compatible with the BCS?

http://shop.greatfermentations.com/prod ... aQodCtgN2Q

Thanks
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Blichmann Low Level Float Switch

Post by JonW »

Yes, that will work just fine with the BCS. It's just a NO/NC contact.

FYI - that is a pricey unit because it has the nice wiring disconnect on it (and the Blickmann name). The mechanical piece of it can be had on ebay for a couple of dollars.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Straight one from amazon. I just made a holder for over the side (no need to drill).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NF ... ge_o03_s00
ukbrewer

Post by ukbrewer »

Picked up this one 32cm Long

Should work perfect with the 10gal boilermaker without any additional holes.
TrickyDick

Post by TrickyDick »

Does anybody know of a tri clover 1.5" compatible float switch for the side wall of kettle? Switches I got are MPT with wires on the outside, apparently intended for use with a coupler or nipple, and will not fit through a triclover FPT adapter because float is too large. Tried removing the float but once the switch is threaded into the adapter, there is not enough clearance to clip the float back into place, and I also suspect not enough clearance to operate.....

The Amazon site has a weird looking float and I do not understand how it works. Does the float "ball" slide up and down? Are the clip and float removable? It's difficult to determine what the dimensions of the shaft and float are based on the description, or what the necessary travel to activate is.

TD
clearwaterbrewer

IMHO -
option 1 - buy the one I linked, buy an end cap, drill a hole in the end cap...
option 2 - look on eBay for a few months for a piece of surplus that is somewhat close...
option 3 - call these guys and get ready to hand them $300 or whatever http://www.ksr-usa.com/switches.htm
TrickyDick

Post by TrickyDick »

Thank you.

I asked the third option linked site for a quote just in case. I'll bet you are right on price...
I have a couple smaller plastic floats arriving tonight that I will try out in my adapters. Another option I thought of was to buy a larger TC adapter than 1/2 FPT and use a bushing, which will be smaller than the adapter, and I should be able to get the float through and reconnect, plus will possibly operate normally in the larger diameter adapter. I found a 1" FPT to 1.5" TC that might work.
I already have end caps so your option 1 might be cheaper than any other solution. Does the float detach or will it fit through a 1.5" TC ferrule? Need to drill a 1/2" (?) hole for those Amazon floats, that won't be fun.

TD.
clearwaterbrewer

99.999% sure it will fit through a 1.5" TC ferrule, depends on length and how welded into kettle.

option 1 - use a quality (harbor freight will dull really quick) step drill and a vise (a drill press or mill drill is even easier, use oil, use a ferrule or other fitting and a clamp with gasket to make an assembly that can be held in a vise. Do NOT drill the hole until you have the float in hand... measure twice and cut once, grasshopper!
option 2 - find a friend with a metal lathe, 30 seconds later you have a perfectly centered hole...
TrickyDick

Post by TrickyDick »

Well,

Tonight the package from McMaster came, with two polypropylene food safe floats. These were a tight fit to squeeze through the TC adapter, but I got it done, and installed, and dry tested with an Ohm meter and they appear to be functioning properly. Need to test the seal. Had to tighten ALL the way in order to get clearance for float to actuate. They seem to not be affected by the TC ferrule as far as any impingement there. McMaster Part no: 46515K41 if anyone else is interested. $15.79 each. I think for HLT/HERMS tank use that they will be fine as long as the threads are sealed and no water leaks when full of either cold or hot water. If I get around to it, I'll post a picture but its not much to look at, and I had left my phone/cam on the charger.

Thanks for the help, and I'll keep the other suggestions in mind if I encounter issues with these switches.

TD