Brewers Hardware RIMS Tube Beta Testers Needed

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
ECC
Bot?: No

Re: Brewers Hardware RIMS Tube Beta Testers Needed

Post by ECC »

Great feature. That is something that most DIY tubes overlook until the last minute.
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Re: Brewers Hardware RIMS Tube Beta Testers Needed

Post by gbrewer »

I finished my preliminary setup for the RIMS TUBE. I decided to make a "remote" type outlet from my main control box which consists of s single gang (outdoor box) for the relay and a single gang (outdoor box) for the outlet. The outlet has its own power supply. The only thing running to the remote box is the cat5 to trip the relax. I designed it this way because I didn't want the extra heat inside my main control box.

After I completed the design, I tested it out. :( I had a bad relay and it didn't work. (I will switch some relays around later)

Since I had the RIMS Tube ready to go I decided to plug it into the outlet designed for one of my pumps and ran it under the manual control process. After all, I am only running a 1500 what 120v water heater element. I was surprised to find out it didn't make my relay as hot as I expected it to be inside my control box.

I have my RIMS tube designed to use 2 temperature probes. One of the probes is on the mash tun return and the other is in the RIMS tube. The one installed in the RIMS tube runs the PID. I initially had the flow of "test" water running from the element to the probe. I changed it around and saw an improvement in maintaining the temperature level. I am able to moniter the temperature of the liquid being returned to the mash tun and the temperature of the liquid that is entering the rims tube from the bottom of the mash tank. I was able to maintain +- 1 degree of accuracy this way on the temperature of the liquid.

I was able to verify my readings against a main thermometer which was installed years ago in the center of my tank.

Initial testing with water went really well. (With the exception of my non-working relay)