Brewers Hardware RIMS Tube Beta Testers Needed

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
ECC
Bot?: No

Re: Brewers Hardware RIMS Tube Beta Testers Needed

Post by ECC »

BrianC wrote:
gbrewer wrote:Perhaps you could make a "Kill" type process that will turn the entire process off if the temperature probe from the RIMS Tube reaches 170 degrees?
Would a secondary exit condition satisfy this requirement? I have not programmed a secondary condition yet. Are they an "and" or an "or" condition? I haven't tested it out yet, but I'm thinking I could set a secondary exit condition whenever the RIMS tube is on where if the output temp is >= 170* (or whatever temp I set), it will kill the entire system (proc off).
Secondary exit conditions are "OR" functions, to setup an "AND" condition you need two states with the exits programmed serially.

If you are controlling the heat with the probe in the RIMS, having a secondary exit condition is a little redundant, since the heat will be off when the temp is measured above the setpoint by nature of the algorithm. But if you are controlling the heat with the mash temp, having the secondary exit condition is a must.
Backyard Brewer

Post by Backyard Brewer »

Thanks for everyone's interest and support! I've reached the limit for beta testers.

We'll find out about the thermowell being too close to the element, I might make it shorter depending on the results. You'll also be able to order it with a 1/4" compression fitting instead of the thermowell which would allow you to adjust the depth. There has been a lot of request for the inlet/outlet to be 180* opposed so I'll offer that option as well.

Thanks again,
Derrin
ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

Backyard Brewer wrote:Thanks for everyone's interest and support! I've reached the limit for beta testers.

We'll find out about the thermowell being too close to the element, I might make it shorter depending on the results. You'll also be able to order it with a 1/4" compression fitting instead of the thermowell which would allow you to adjust the depth. There has been a lot of request for the inlet/outlet to be 180* opposed so I'll offer that option as well.

Thanks again,
Derrin
Yehaw!!! Looks like I got into the beta program.

I have no idea what it would do to your cost, but you might consider splitting the tube, and adding another clamp. That way the inlet and outlet could be rotated however the user wanted.

My current RIM's tube has the inlet and outlet 180*. As you are working out the plumbing, pump priming etc, you might find the 180* offset to be a good thing or a bad thing, having the option to adjust (even to 90* if needed) would be great.

Ed
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

That would be a nice option. I know where I will end up mounting mine, I will wish I had one outlet pointing up and the other pointing down. I will most likely mount horizontal. I simple split would be nice but could make the cost something people don't want to partcipate with. Who knows.
HarvInSTL

Post by HarvInSTL »

Anyone received theirs yet?
ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

HarvInSTL wrote:Anyone received theirs yet?

Still waiting, no worries.
HarvInSTL

Post by HarvInSTL »

ohio-ed wrote:Still waiting, no worries.
Got a reply from Derrin
I need to send an email out to everyone. Drilling and taping the cap did not work, it leaves a tapered edge and the washer would have to
sit on the taper which I think would eventually fail. So.. since I
have the tap now, plan B is to re-tap the threads of an existing 1"
NPT fitting to straight threads. I ordered the fittings and they were promptly stolen from my front door. Which is really strange because I live in a quite area and have packages in/out everyday without ever having a problem. I suspect the substitute USPS letter carrier picked them up with the rest of my out-bound but they, of course, don't know anything about it.

Now I'm waiting for the replacement pieces.

Derrin
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Thanks for posting the update. I kinda figured this was a pre-purchase for a "still in development" item. Derrin will send us a good product when it is ready.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Where are you guys at on this thing? I got my RIMS Tube a few days ago and am in the process of implementation. I need to TIG a compression fitting to the 1.5TC for the BCS probe to fit into. I don't like using the "sleeve" concept as I am concerned about incorrect temp reading from having the temperature probe inside a thermowell. Even with using thermo paste I still don't feel comfortable with the possibility of an incorrect reading.

I also plan on making a small stand for the rims tube and have considered "tig" welding both end clamps to the stand. That way the tube can be removed from the clamps and taken apart. The clamps would secure the tube to the stand. I think a couple small welds would make this work. I also thought about having seperate electrical on the stand by itself. The stand would have the relay in a deep junction box. The outlet would also be on the stand with it's own power cord. I would simply run a cat 5 cable from my main control box to the relay to make it function properly.

I know the process portion of the tube will be easy to implement. I am not really concerned about adding the element and making the wiring work. as that portion is simple. I am more concerned about making the RIMS Tube function as easy as possible with my system. I want to have the flexibility to use the RIMS Tube if I chose or not chose.

Since it is new, I don't want to completely modify my current system.
ohio-ed

Post by ohio-ed »

Just got my beta unit yesterday. Haven't had a chance to do anything other than open it to confirm what was in the box. I was a little surprised to see a ground lug welded to the unit. This should make grounding the unit much easier for some folks.