Build questions:

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
bad coffee
Bot?: No

Build questions:

Post by bad coffee »

Hey guys and gals, I'm about to buy a BCS and design a box around it. This thread will be where I ask all my questions so I don't end up staring a million threads.

today's first question:

Can I use the 5Vdc+ out of the BCS as the 5v in for the external switches? Will it freak out I'm using it's own voltage for the trigger, or does it not care where the V+ comes from? I'm thinking of wiring "Start" "Stop" "Next" and "E stop" buttons on my controller box so I don't have to use the laptop all the time.

Will it work?

Thanks
B
ECC

Re: Build questions:

Post by ECC »

Yes, using the +5vdc pin of the BCS for discrete inputs is the recommended configuration. You could also use another source, but make sure that the grounds are connected.
bad coffee

Post by bad coffee »

Great on the not adding another 5v xformer.

Today's question:

Can I attach temp probes to one of the expansion card? My idea is to wall mount the bcs with the access point (controlling my kegerator and ferm chamber,) then run a single cat-5 to the SSR box where I brew. To change my brewing location I just need to add some cat-5.

Cheers,
B
ECC

Post by ECC »

The only expansion cards currently offered are Digi16's, which have 12 additional on/off outputs, and 4 additional discrete inputs. We don't offer an expansion card that supports additional temperature inputs.
bad coffee

Post by bad coffee »

Will the future 'slave mode' BCS enable more temp inputs? I don't need the extra ins/outs right now, I was just looking to pimp it out. If the next version will support extra temp probes, I'll wait to get the expansion.

B
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Tell us more about your wanting to Wall mount your BCS-460 and then brewing in several different locations. There are many of us who have already done what you are starting out with that may be able to offer you lots of different advice.

Also, I am not the moderator or admin here, but.... When we put all these questions under the topic "build questions", it makes it difficult for other future BCS-460 users to search for topics we are discussing. It is always easier (on behalf of future builders) to pose each question with an accurate topic line.

At one point I wanted to create a main location for the BCS and then link to it from somewhere else via Cat5 cable and finally decided to make an all in one portable case which contains is all. I changed it because a friend of mine thought it would be cool to have a bunch of friends over and brew together at his house. Now I can just pack up and brew where I want. If I want to brew in the front of my house, I can. If I want to brew on the patio, I can.

If your networking knowlege is there, you can always incorporate a wireless access point into your brew stand with the BCS-460. (Lots of threads on that one)

Good luck.. .Looking forward to seeing pictures of how your system continues.
bad coffee

Post by bad coffee »

Here is my desired layout:

BCS and an old Airport Express mounted in a box on the wall above my kegerator and my fermentation chamber.
Temp 0= Fermentation cabinet.

One single Cat5 to the external box, which will mostly be used in the kitchen. Sometimes out on the patio if it's nice out and I don't want to heat up the house. I only need to grab a 50' cable instead of a 25'

In the external box:
A/C #1 in is for Element 1
A/C #2 in is for Element 2 and the pump.
SSR 1= element 1 (1650w ULD 120v)
SSR 2= element 2 (Same)
SSR 3= Pump (probably a Little Giant)

Temp 1= MLT
Temp 2= Boil Kettle
Temp 3= HEX in
Temp 4= Hex out (this is where an add on card with extra temp inputs would rock)

Instead, I'll keep my Love controller on the fermentation cabinet, and mount both the BCS and the Airport Express in the box with the SSR's.

I live in an apartment, so 240vac is out of the question.

Currently I have a 10 gal setup, but I'm thinking of selling both the 15gal brewpot and the 10 gal Rubbermaid MLT. I could use the extra shelf space, but don't want to limit myself to 1.055 mashes. If I can find a decent 7 gallon cooler, I'll sell off the 10 gal stuff pretty quick. My old 8 gallon pot will most likely become the BK,

Now I just have to get the stainless fittings so I know if I need 2 or 4" temp probes. Then I place my order!

B