glycol temp for conical

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
jward
Bot?: No

glycol temp for conical

Post by jward »

I am working towards using a Brewers Hardware jacketed conical. What do you do to control the temperature? I have not finished a glycol chiller and it was suggested to use iced water for now. The jacket seems to hold a good bit of liquid. I am a bit concerned that when the wort temp drops the BCS will turn on the pump and fill the jacket with ~32F water which will over cool the wort. How much differential in temperature do you use between glycol and the fermentation temperature?
oakbarn

Re: glycol temp for conical

Post by oakbarn »

I asked a similar question about glycol and this is what I got:

" For normal ale ferm temps of 66-68 I use 1 degree diff on the fermenters and 5 degrees on the glycol bath. Glycol is chilled to 50. At this temp, the glycol chiller only cycles a couple of times a day.

JonW
Site Admin"
clearwaterbrewer

Re: glycol temp for conical

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

a tank of water in your keezer or cooler of icewater (expensive) will be fine, as when the jacket gets cold, the fermenting wort inside that gets a couple degrees below the wort more towards the center will move to the bottom and cause currents in the wort (and there are probably already significant CO2 bubble releasing currents in the fermenter)..

control wise, treat it like a gas burner on a mash tun... PID with long minimum 'on' times...