Resetting BCS-460 With 4.0 Firmware

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
jhbrews
Bot?: No

Resetting BCS-460 With 4.0 Firmware

Post by jhbrews »

Hello,

I had a fully operational BCS-460 running Firmware 4.0 using an AirPort Extreme Router. BCS was configured to use DHCP and the router had a reservation for the BCS' MAC address to 10.0.1.200.

We moved last May and my brewery controller spent the summer in a storage unit. We're finally in our new place and the brewery has been set up. I plugged in the BCS on the same setup as before (direct connection to Airport router) for the first time last weekend but it doesn't appear to be found on it's old IP address.

I've tried resetting it for 15 seconds (confirmed it is resetting as the lights go off then back on upon releasing). The network cable is good as I tested it with another machine.

I've run BCS finder on a mac with no luck. I also removed the DHCP reservation on the airport, reset the BCS and re-ran the BCS finder with the same result. I even went through all 200 DHCP assignable IPs.

I seem to remember that 4.0 removed the hard reset option to default the IP to 194.168.0.63/68. Is that correct? Wondering whether there's a chance it is defaulted to another IP range and need to switch my Airport over to that range.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Resetting BCS-460 With 4.0 Firmware

Post by JonW »

The 4.0 version should have defaulted to DHCP and pulled another new address from the router. At your new location, is the router using the same 10.0.1.x subnet range? Just wondering if anything else has changed in the configuration.
jhbrews

Post by jhbrews »

JonW wrote:The 4.0 version should have defaulted to DHCP and pulled another new address from the router. At your new location, is the router using the same 10.0.1.x subnet range? Just wondering if anything else has changed in the configuration.
That's what I had recalled. Thanks for confirming.

Nothing has changed as far as I'm aware. Same Airport, same configs (minus the reservation I tried removing for the BCS). All machines should be running off the same subset but I'll plug the Ethernet feeding the BCS back into another monitor to see what is being assigned.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

jhbrews wrote:
JonW wrote: All machines should be running off the same subset but I'll plug the Ethernet feeding the BCS back into another monitor to see what is being assigned.
Not sure what you mean by plugging the Ethernet into another monitor, but any other device on that same cable will NOT get the same IP assigned as the BCS would. IP addresses are issued based on MAC address, not switch/router port.
brahn

Post by brahn »

This is pretty strange. Does the router show that the device was connected or that it assigned an IP address?
jhbrews

Post by jhbrews »

Jon, I have a 21" android monitor that can accept an Ethernet cable or go wireless. I unplugged the cable from the BCS and plugged it into the monitor only to ensure that it was being assigned a 10.0.1.X IP on the same subnet as my other devices. So that checks out.

Brahn, unfortunately Apple has removed the feature to see wired devices on the network from the AirPlay utility. You can only see wireless devices. I've been having to rely on the finder utility for mac.

I did try to re-enable the DHCP reservation for the BCS' MAC address so I can only assume it'd be assigned the IP I reserved...10.0.1.199 (my DHCP range goes from 10.0.1.2-10.0.1.200). But it's not found after a reset.
jhbrews

Post by jhbrews »

To rule out any issue with the Airport, I'm going to try setting up an old Cisco router as a private LAN and see if that will produce the same result. The interface for the Cisco router will allow me to view wired devices.