BCS-462 Available - v3.0 firmware released

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
ECC
Bot?: No

BCS-462 Available - v3.0 firmware released

Post by ECC »

The BCS-462 is now available in the store! There have been quite a few pre-orders, but I think everyone has had a reasonable chance to claim their BCS, so they are now generally available.

The BCS-462 adds more I/O, for a total of 8 temperature inputs, 8 discrete inputs, and 18 outputs.

Also, v3.0 of the firmware has been released. Both the 460 and 462 share the same firmware and feature set.
We hit most of the features in the Roadmap, except Slave Mode, Email, and Twitter (coming soon).
  1. 8 process support, with separate process config files
  2. BCS-462 support (8 temps, 18 outs, 8 dins)
  3. Ladder Logic beta
  4. State/Process names in pulldowns
  5. Process Edit button
  6. All Stop button, kills all processes, zeros all outputs
  7. Auto Refresh
  8. One-shot DINS
  9. Persistent timers (continue from state to state)
  10. Resize gauges, small medium large, and table for phones.
  11. BCS network finder support
  12. Apply/Refresh weirdness fixed.
One noteable addition is the Ladder Logic interface. Ladder Logic is the industry standard automation programming language. There are plenty of resources on the web describing the fundamentals. It can be used to extend the Process/State Machine functionality of the BCS, and save states. It gives the user an easy way to add logical AND/ORs without having to use exit conditions. For example, Rung4 implements Fly Sparge control: Internal Registers, Reg2 in this case, can be set set by an active state. When Reg2 is on, It turns on Out5 (HLT Pump) whenever DIN3 (Float Switch) is on. This is still considered a beta version for Ladder Logic, we looking for feedback on the interface. More documentation to follow.
ladder.jpg
ladder.jpg (64.57 KiB) Viewed 10196 times
ECC

Re: BCS-462 Available - v3.0 firmware released

Post by ECC »

The demo is updated with v3.0, check it out. We'll also have a BCS-462 demo available in the future.
http://forum.embeddedcontrolconcepts.co ... p?f=4&t=48
bbrally

Post by bbrally »

Ordered!

I've been waiting for this to be available for some time. Can't wait to get it set up and start brewing with it!
Backyard Brewer

Post by Backyard Brewer »

Congratulations! Very exciting
rcrabb22

Post by rcrabb22 »

Observations from upgrade from V2.1 to V3.0

1. Changed the name of the firmware file BCS460.bin to BCS460_V_3_0.bin to be more descriptive. The firmware update process expects the default file name.

2. As stated in firmware update instructions, I made Ethernet setting changes, changing port, and I needed to adjust my URL to use the default port. I had set my router to always assign the same IP so I was able to connect without too much trouble

3. Now that config files are per process loading my saved config file based on V2.1 did not seem to work for me. I tried loading using last item in the table,
Save System Settings to File - This includes all non-process related settings
and it never returned. I tried loading as Process 0 not thinking that would really work and it didn't. Maybe I did something wrong, but I would suggest you have a written record of you processes, including inputs, outputs, special PID settings, etc. and any descriptive names you used. It can be gleaned from a saved cfg file if need be but discerning custom PID settings from that file will be tedious at best. I hope I did something wrong. I was lucky my processes were rather simple to recreate.

I need to get used to looking in different places for navigation through the pages but I'm pleased with the new version and will doing some reading about logic ladders.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Unfortunately configurations files aren't portable between major revisions, in other words config files saved by a v2.x BCS aren't compatible with v3.x. However minor revisions are... v3.0 would be compatible with v3.1. I've mentioned this a few times in the forum, but it looks like it never made it into the wiki. I'll make sure to update that, thanks for pointing that out. If you try to load an incompatible config file, the BCS will drop the upload and reset itself.

Config file incompatibilities are an side effect of new features, some additions (like 8 states) are just too big to contain. I do try to limit major revisions, and allocate some extra space to account for new features. I don't see a 4.0 coming anytime soon.
rcrabb22

Post by rcrabb22 »

Thanks for the response and clarification on config file load. I agree it should be noted in the Wiki, preferably at the beginning of the Firmware update instructions so users can be warned b/4 they actually start the update process.

I know, I know, I know you just released the new version, congrats! I would still like data logging to use real date and time in a future point release :D
ECC

Post by ECC »

Ok, I added it to the Roadmap list.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I am impressed. The upgrade took the first time and it saved my network settings. I was able to flash through my wireless network and didn't need to plug in at any time to replace lost network settings.

Nice work on the firmware. It looks sweet!
ECC

Post by ECC »

Hmm, it should have defaulted your network settings. If you need a static IP, you might want to verify that its coming from the BCS, and not the router's dhcp entry. Just verify that the 'Enable DHCP' checkbox is unchecked. Since the MAC doesn't change, the dhcp will 'usually' give out the same IP. But as you know there are issues with the BCS and wireless dhcp.