MORE PROCESSES

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Sparkologist
Bot?: No

MORE PROCESSES

Post by Sparkologist »

I love the controller and I quickly used all eight of my processes. I could use at least eight more. Here are some examples of the processed I like to have pre-written:

Process 0 (SINGLE STEP LIGHT) Single step 90 minute mash @ 148 degrees, 90 minute boil
Process 1 (SINGLE STEP MED) Single step 75 minute mash @ 152 degrees, 90 minute boil
Process 2 (SINGLE STEP FULL) Single step 60 minute mash @ 156 degrees, 90 minute boil
Process 3 (TWO STEP LIGHT) Two step 90 minute mash 15 minutes @ 135 and 75 minutes @148 degrees, 90 minute boil
Process 4 (TWO STEP MED) Two step 75 minute mash 15 minutes @ 135 and 60 minutes @152 degrees, 90 minute boil
Process 5 (TWO STEP FULL) Two step 75 minute mash 15 minutes @ 135 and 60 minutes @156 degrees, 90 minute boil
Process 6 (THREE STEP LIGHT) Three step 95 minute mash 10 min @ 122, 10 min @136 and 75 min @ 148 degrees, 90 minute boil
Process 7 (THREE STEP MED) Three step 80 minute mash 10 min @ 122, 10 min @136 and 60 min @ 152 degrees, 90 minute boil
Process 8 (THREE STEP FULL) Three step 80 minute mash 10 min @ 122, 10 min @136 and 60 min @ 156 degrees, 90 minute boil
Process 9-11 (LIGHT GRAVITY 60 MINUTE BOILS)
Process 12 (CIP Process)
Process 13-20 (MAIN STAY RECIPES)
Process 21-24 (FERMENTATION SCHEDULES)

I currently tweek the process the night before brewday for each batch and it does work fine. But occasionally I miss a check box, or enter a time wrong, or =<> wrong, or exit procedure wrong etc.... When this happens I find myself scrambling and you have to stop a process (potentially resetting the timer) to make some of these changes.
I am not saying if I have the ability to pre-write 24 processes that I wouldn't make a mistake, but once fixed, it is ready for the next time.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: MORE PROCESSES

Post by JonW »

This is why there are utilities for saving your processes. You can save/load different processes for different recipes. When you restore, you can choose just a single process to restore, it doesn't have to be the whole config.

Also, using the recipe utility will let you change the step times and temps in mere seconds.
brahn

Post by brahn »

Yes, exactly what JonW said. The recipe utility can be configured to allow you to change the temp/time very quickly.

In your situation, I would probably build one process for the Three Step process, then use the recipe utility to configure it for each brew. Just set the timer for the steps you aren't using to 0 when you don't need them. For me, I so rarely do multiple step mashes that my mash process is just configured for single infusion and I just set the time/temp in the recipe utility on brew day. Alternatively you could create all of these processes you've listed, back them all up individually and then just restore the one you want on brew day and never use the recipe utility at all.

The BCS Utilities are linked on the Settings page in the BCS.
brewstarke

Post by brewstarke »

I do what Brahn suggests with setting the time to 0 for steps I don't do. In addition, I have a whole separate setup (completely different config) that I load in for the fermenting stage. There I have i think 5 processes for various ferment cycles but could realistically trim it down to 1 process and have the recipe utility make the needed changes between recipes. It does limit me to either control brewing or ferments but I'm not finding much time to brew frequently enough for that to happen... Ultimately I'd like to get another BCS to have them permanently wired and programmed for hot side and cold side.
The recipe utility is key!
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I think that the 2 BCS (one for Brewing and one for Fermentation) is the way to go. I recently re wrote my Brewery Processes so that I can set up a Brew quickly.

My Processes:
brewery Process.png
brewery Process.png (15.08 KiB) Viewed 6123 times
I do save all of my brews so that I can repeat if I want. Once I have a brew set up, it is easy to restore it.
Sparkologist

Post by Sparkologist »

Excellent!
I will try the back up utility.

Thank You
Sparkologist

Post by Sparkologist »

Is there a way to include the duty cycle in the recipe utility?
I program a two step boiling process.

Process #1 (BOIL) PID heats water to 204 degrees and Exits to (BOILING) when it hits 203 degrees.
Process #2 (BOILING) Duty Cycle controls the boil for the full time of the boil.

Bigger beers boil at a lower duty cycle than smaller beers. I have found that a big stout likes as low as a 50% duty cycle and a Berliner Weise boils perfectly at 72%.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Sparkologist wrote:Is there a way to include the duty cycle in the recipe utility?
No, The only two types of Variables that can be set are

1. Temperature
a. As a SetPoint of a Probe associated with an Output (PID or Hysteresis Mode)
b. As a Temperature as an Exit Condition
2. Time
a. As an Initial Value (Time) of a Timer
b. As a Time as an Exit Condition

Output that are
Direct On/Off
Duty Cycle
Cannot be Set with a Variable (and they are not available on the Pull Down Menu of the Recipe Utility).

There is an Error in the Recipe Utility where you can select a DIN as an Exit Condition, but the Value cannot be changed by a variable.