Add More States to a Process

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Sparkologist
Bot?: No

Add More States to a Process

Post by Sparkologist »

Is there a way to add more than seven states in a process?
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Add More States to a Process

Post by JonW »

Processes have 8 states, but no, you cannot add more. You can chain two processes if you really needed.

I'd be curious to see what you're doing in each state of the process that you need more than 8. It might make more sense to break your states down into two processes.

I break my processes as follows:
- MLT Heat/Hold
- HLT Heat/Hold
- Fly Sparge
- Boil Proc
- Hop Additions
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

You can have another process Start at State 0 when you exit State 7 of a different State. In fact, you can start any process at state 0 on exit of any other Process State. I have a Hop Addition Process that Starts when I reach Boil.

Process 3:Boil Process: State 0: Wait for Boil Exit on BK => 210F
On Exit, I have it set so that Process 5:Hop/Pitch: State 0:Boiling Tm starts

A Boil Timer that starts at the same time in both Processes tracks my Boil Timer in Both Processes.
start process.png
start process.png (15.8 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
Sparkologist

Post by Sparkologist »

It works! Chaining two processes was very helpful. Now I can have one process as a three step mash and the next one as sparge and boil.

the mash schedule uses
0) Strike (heats HLT uses PID function to strike temp)
1) Peptidase Rest (RIMS recirculate PID function 122 degrees, Exit on Peptidase Timer)
2) Protein Rise (RIMS recirculate DUTY CYCLE 70%, Exit on RIMS probe 136 degrees)
3) Protein Rest (RIMS recirculate PID function 136 degrees, Exit on Protein Timer)
4) Saccharification Rise (RIMS recirculate DUTY CYCLE 70%, Exit on RIMS probe 152 degrees)
5) Saccharification Rest (RIMS recirculate PID function 152 degrees, Exit on Saccharification Timer.
6) Sparge (Hold HLT at 168 degrees, as it was since state #1.) Exit to Process #2 Boil (Woo Hoo!)

I have found that using the duty cycle from one step to the next is better than using PID function where the element doesn't shut off until it is close to the next temperature. More gently on the mash wort.

I have been hitting a mash efficiency of 90-94% with this three step mash. I know I could use a little more grain and use a simple single infusion mash, but I like doing it.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

My brew buddy has more $ than time, so we use extra grain and batch Sparge, but we might try this for fun! We use a Convolutus Counter flow chiller as a HERMS so it might take more time to rise the temps. I have my process set up for a 3 State Mash so just need to try. How do you decide the time for each step?