Upgrade- Adding Temp Sensor

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Mach79
Bot?: No

Upgrade- Adding Temp Sensor

Post by Mach79 »

Since setting up system & brew enough recipes to be comfortable, time for an upgrade- ha

The brewery is powered by a BCS-482. The original setup (Electric Brew Supply 50a 2 Element system), came with 4 temp probes. The upgrade will be an additional temp probe. The goal is to have a temperature probe for the fermenter, which will control a heater and a glycol pump. I understand the wiring of the new probe to the BCS, but the temp probes from Brewer's Hardware are not long enough to reach from the fermenter to the BCS control box. My plan is to use a simple 2 wire shielded cable to add on to the probe wiring from Brewer's Hardware. Am I over simplifying this...? Is there a specific wire to use for the added portion? Is there a max length and any issues I'm overlooking?

I appreciate the feedback & support. Eventually, hopefully soon, I will be uploading some pics of the brewery room for feedback & suggestions.

Thanks
oakbarn

Re: Upgrade- Adding Temp Sensor

Post by oakbarn »

I would use a good quality 18g awg twisted pair. You need to cross any Electrical wires at 90 degrees if possible. Keep you wires away from running parallel from any electrical wires. I had to put some of mine in metal conduit 4 feet away from some wires. You can get EMI, especially from compressors.

I know lots of people that have used 24g awg Ethernet cable that works fine for them, but I read on some robotic forum that 18g is what to use for sensors. I had all of mine as Ethernet, but after some time I started having EMI. When I did the re wire, I upgraded to 18g Belden.

I also use on wire to attached to the GND of the BCS and the other to the temp on the BCS. I do not connect the drain wire. If you have EMI (The probe Temp goes up and down{in a Sine curve}), you can mess with the drain wire. Make sure your wire joins are good and not cold soldered. Keep them to the minimal. Brewer's Hardware does sell M12 Quick Cable Disconnects.

I run the wire to a Female Panel Mounted and then add the male to the Probe wire.

Polarity is not an issue.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade- Adding Temp Sensor

Post by JonW »

Good points from oakbarn. Ensure you have a wire going from your BCS GND to the AC earth ground. If not, when lengthening your wires, you will see spikes up/down in the temp. The longer the run, the bigger the spikes. If you do the DC ground jumper to the earth ground, you won't get the spikes.