Updating firmware via USB DFU

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
elmoa
Bot?: No

Re: Updating firmware via USB DFU

Post by elmoa »

JonW wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:30 am
elmoa wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:41 pm
flashed my bcs 482 and now red light beside reset button flashes
wont tur on
Power cycle before flash, then power cycle after flash. I'd suggest flashing again with this process.
bcs is flashing next to reset button
but now when i connect to computer it wont see the bcs
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

elmoa wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:53 am
bcs is flashing next to reset button
but now when i connect to computer it wont see the bcs
If you have one of the first batch units, the end caps were a little too thick and the USB does not always seat all the way in. Another user had this issue and was able to resolve it by removing the end cap to do the flashing. If this is your issue, free replacement end caps are available so you won't need to remove it in the future.
MiguelG

Post by MiguelG »

I downloaded the zip file and there is no DFU file when i browse in the utility program. List devices just makes the dialog box lock up and flash gives me the select a file screen. :?:
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

traprock

Post by traprock »

The BCS-482 comes up as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" under the Windows 10 Device Manager. Zadig also sees the "Unknown USB Device" and there is no driver (NONE). How do I get a driver installed?
traprock

Post by traprock »

Now it finds the BCS-482 on the Device Manager. Zadig also sees the BCS-482 Interface 2 and Interface 0.
1. (a) Loaded the WinUSB driver to Interface 2. (b) Then used the bcs-dfu.exe utility. It could not find a DFU device.
2. (a) Loaded the WinUSB driver to Interface 0. (b) Then used the bcs-dfu.exe utility. It could not find a DFU device.
3. Did a hard reset. Repeated step (b). It still could not find a DFU device.
4. (a) Loaded the libusbK driver to Interface 2. (b) Then used the bcs-dfu.exe utility. It could not find a DFU device.
5. (a) Loaded the libusbK driver to Interface 0. (b) Then used the bcs-dfu.exe utility. It could not find a DFU device.
6. Did a hard reset - twice. Repeated step (b). It still could not find a DFU device.

We have had numerous issues with this BCS-482 locking up, losing web interface, etc. We have two, 110 gallon batches in fermenters that are at risk if we can't keep temperatures stable.

The customer support on this product is extremely poor. Any other company would have a technical service person available for a callback.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I would start by going into control panel device manager and showing hidden devices. Remove all you have added. Go back and only load the libusbK drivers.
traprock

Post by traprock »

Removed the devices as indicated in your message. Then loaded the libusbK drivers.

Two devices show up as: libusbK USB Devices; BCS-482 Interface 2 and Interface 0.

Both devices show up in Zadig with the libusbK (v.3.0.7.0) driver.

The BCS DFU Flashing Utility displays the following:

Match vendor ID from file: 1cbe
Match prod ID from file: 022f

Opening DFU capable USB device...
ID 1cbe:022f
Run-time device DFU version 0110
Claiming USB DFU Runtime Interface...
Determining device status:
Device does not implement get_status, assuming appIDLE
Device really detach and reattach...

Cannot open DFU device 1cbe:022f
error detaching
Cannot open DFU device 1cbe:022f
Lost device after RESET?

Return Code: 74
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I don't have a clear answer for you how to fix this. We're going to have someone start working on troubleshooting the flash processing next week to see what we can do to make this foolproof.

In the mean time, if you want to send it to Brewers Hardware, they will flash it and ship it back for free. The latest 482 firmware is highly suggested as it does address the lockup issue some have encountered.
traprock

Post by traprock »

Sending you the BCS-482 would not be feasible at this point. It is currently being utilized in a production capacity on two (3 bbl) fermenters and a jacketed brite tank. The inconvenience of having to hard reset it each time it locks up is a necessary evil at this point compared to having all production stop.