Wiring Float Switch to HLT

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Mach79
Bot?: No

Wiring Float Switch to HLT

Post by Mach79 »

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for adding a float switch to a HLT with a 5500 heating element? I have a 2 element control panel from Electric Brew supply. I am assuming the float switch is added between the BCS & the actual heating element to control the power....thanks
RandR+

Re: Wiring Float Switch to HLT

Post by RandR+ »

I don't have an element but I use floats for water level in my HLT and MLT. High/low in the HLT and high in the MLT all using DINs in the BCS.

I hooked up the float switch to the BCS using the +5v through the float to a DIN. Then use the din to trigger a state change and ladder logic to not trigger pump if switch is not made
TrickyDick

Re: Wiring Float Switch to HLT

Post by TrickyDick »

I do and I also have a panel from EBS I believe.

I have 2 float switches, lower and upper.
Lower is a dumb switch wired in series to interrupt the activation of the SSR for the HLT element to prevent a dry fire.
Upper is a "smart" input that I use to fill the HLT in conjunction with a NC electrically actuated SS ball valve. Pretty easy to program into the BCS, but I think I needed an extra DC low voltage/current relay panel.
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but my lower float switch was pre-wired in my panel.
TD