BCS-462 to Measure Pulse Signal from Flowmeter and control solenoid

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
dbennett78
Bot?: No

BCS-462 to Measure Pulse Signal from Flowmeter and control solenoid

Post by dbennett78 »

Is it possible to have the BCS-462 monitor and count pulses so we can control the gallons going into our mash tun and then shut off the water by sending a signal to a solenoid when it hits the count?

If not, can anyone point me to a similar project using a RaspberryPi or something similar? Looking for a project with a web based interface so I can set the number of gallons I want it to fill with and shut off at that number so I can start filling the mash tun on my way to the brewery.

Thanks.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS-462 to Measure Pulse Signal from Flowmeter and control solenoid

Post by JonW »

The BCS does not directly support this. However, I fill my 30 gallon kettles using the timing method and it is very accurate. There are only 3 variables involved in liquid flow measurement via timing. (This works just like the fuel injectors in your car.) If you have (1) a fixed orifice for the flow rate and can (2) deliver a constant pressure, then (3) timed delivery will give very repeatable results.

For my setup, I installed (1) a shower flow restrictor disk in the outlet port of my filter. You can then add (2) a water pressure regulator to the setup to keep your pressure constant. That will then allow you to use (3) a timed value for each gallon of water needed.
AndrewsBrewing

Re: BCS-462 to Measure Pulse Signal from Flowmeter and control solenoid

Post by AndrewsBrewing »

We do this with an ESP8266. But since we are not using its WiFi capability, you could use an Arduino.

Here's a pic of it. Digital display with buttons for choosing volume. A propeller flow meter and a valve.
IMG_7607.jpg
IMG_7607.jpg (516.81 KiB) Viewed 10070 times

And the water distribution.
exif_temp_image.JPG
exif_temp_image.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 10071 times
I'd be happy to share my sketch if anyone is interested.