Combined Readouts

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
tedderz
Bot?: No

Combined Readouts

Post by tedderz »

I currently have 3 BCS400's running to monitor 12 sensor probes. I will most likely add more in the future. So far everything works great, just as one would expect.
We have a building that has been designed as a green building (the building inside a shell design) and we monitor the temperatures on a regular basis, but we want a web page so that the general public can also view the temperatures in real time.

My problem is this: I currently have to view 3 different IP addresses to see 4 sensor readings each to get a snapshot of all of the probes. This poses a small problem to our plans and I can't find the solution I'm looking for on the boards.

What I'm looking for: I would like to be able to have a single page that shows all 12 (and more as needed or desired) gauges on the same page. Much like the way the four are currently displayed, only I want it to read from the appropriate IP addresses for each gauge. I want it to update often (every few seconds) just like it does on the main page of the BCS400.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)
ECC
Bot?: No

Re: Combined Readouts

Post by ECC »

Unfortunately there's currently no way to link mulitple BCS's together under a single BCS interface. We've been pushing around some sort of 'Slave Mode', which would implement a function similar to this, but its still on the drawing board. And its still questionable if it would support more than one additional BCS.

If you don't want to wait for slave mode to roll out, I think the best solution would be have a small program poll the BCS's using the open interface. You could setup a cron job to read the temeratures from each BCS periodically, and dump the results in a file. Then a separate webserver could read the file and display the results in a webpage.

For example, executing the following command will read a comma separated list from the BCS, where elements (3:6) are the 4 temperatures of your BCS-460:

Code: Select all

wget http://bcs1_url_here/ultemp.dat
http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... Ultemp.dat