Other Uses For BCS

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
MikeTheBeerSnob
Bot?: No

Other Uses For BCS

Post by MikeTheBeerSnob »

Could the BCS also be used to control Home HVAC? Main diff is what you turn on based on a temp. Just looking to see if I could make the control earn its keep between brews.
rcrabb22

Re: Other Uses For BCS

Post by rcrabb22 »

I would have no clue how to do it but it seems possible to have the BCS replace the HVAC thermostat signal functionality
ECC

Post by ECC »

Yeah, I don't see why not.
MikeTheBeerSnob

The trick would be to get the thermocouple signal to the BCS Unit and then a response back to the compressor & fan on off. Either via wifi or X10. Also is their any way to feed web cam through the BCS control software. Like a video camera on the brew pot to spot boil overs while you are watching a football game picture in picture....
MikeTheBeerSnob

The reason for my crazy idea. I'm thinking of building a portable computer station. The station would be large enough to house:
Standard PC Box
ECC BCS controller and related electronics.
12 car battery
Battery charger, AC/DC Converter
Car Stereo Amp
SubWoofer
Speaker jacks and mounts for small speakers
fire extinguisher... should have one handy.

Ok so its a brew controlling media station. The battery can act as a backup or just power the rig. On brew day it will be connected to my single tier system (in process) with a computer monitor sitting on top and keyboard on a slide out or swing out shelf. When not used to control a brew day it would sit next to my TV and be a media/home control system. Thus the HVAC will need to fall back on its regular thermostats when I'm brewing...maybe, priorities. One nice feature would be if ProMash or one of the other brewing software packages would export a data file for the ECC BCS.... did I mention the disco ball light mount...
MikeTheBeerSnob

The concept is not much different than the Sample #1 of the BCS system or the post on the Forum under BCS in Action about Building a Refrig. Thermocouple for air temp, intercept the lead that send the compressor/heat call, intercept the leads that control the fan. Or to make it more simple, set the existing thermostat a little hotter or colder than you want it. Then intercept the on off on the thermostat. Then just shut the system on or off based on the information from the thermocouple... kind of like a kegerator. I have a weather station that I bought at WalMart. It has a remote unit I can place outside or in another room and it sends me the temp and humidity info. Something similar to the remote unit should work?? Its just getting the control signal back. Have you looked at X-10, sending back the signal via the house electrical system?
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I am sure there are multiple other uses for the BCS 460. It currently can be ran via WIFI access point. The BCS is essentially a stand alone server. I don't think you are going to find many people here who are actively designing a system to use the BCS460 as HVAC controls for the home. Most of us around here are brewers and folks who enjoy engineering brew gadgets. Besides, I think it would be a bit on the expensive side for a standard HVAC controller. If you wanted to get fancy with your HVAC controls and designs, Honeywell has a complete upscale product line.