Remote Access

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
ukbrewer
Bot?: No

Remote Access

Post by ukbrewer »

Having a hard time getting the remote access to work. Currently got the BCS connected to a router set up as a wireless bridge using dd-wrt. I can access via wi-fi and on my home network can't get the port forwarding to work.

Any ideas?
ECC

Re: Remote Access

Post by ECC »

Did you change the port? Most ISP's block port 80, the standard tcp/ip port. Make it 8080 or something and open that one up on your router. Can you give us more info on your setup, and the steps that you've taken?
ukbrewer

Post by ukbrewer »

First step logged into BCS Controller
Ethernet Settings
Static IP address set to 192.168.1.73
Subnet 255.255.0.0
Gateway 0.0.0.0
Mac Addr Same as sticker on unit
Port 1056
Hit Apply, then reset Controller

Netgear WGT624 v3 Router
Address Reserved for BCS Controller 192.168.1.73
Port Forwarding
1) Custom Service: BCS-460
2) Service Type: TCP
3) Starting Port: 1056
4) Ending Port: 1056
5) Server IP Address: 192.168.1.73
Hit Apply

I have the BCS connected to a wireless router flashed with DD-WRT set up as a wireless bridge.

Go to What is my ip, enter the xx.xx.xxx.xxx:1056
Try to connect remote via my iphone and get the following
"Cannot Open Page - Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding"

I can connect to the BCS unit from my computer at 192.168.1.73:1056

Not sure whats going on.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

You can't have your gateway set to 0.0.0.0 - based on the IP addresses you are showing, it should likely be set to 192.168.1.1 (the internal LAN IP address of the router). By setting it to 0.0.0.0, you prevent the BCS from responding to requests from outside your LAN. That's why it works inside and not outside the LAN.

Also, your subnet mask is likely supposed to be 255.255.255.0 instead of 255.255.0.0.
ukbrewer

Post by ukbrewer »

Thanks Jon. Changed gateway and subnet now its working. I can access via safari or brew buddy on my iphone.

This should help shorten brew days, plan is to start the HLT when I leave work, arrive home and be ready to mash in.

Sweet!
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

I am also having trouble with remote connection. I have basically the same setup as the OP. With my BCS connected to a DD-WRT Wireless Bridge. Connecting to my home LAN. Works fine on the LAN. I ran "What's my IP" and found my IP. Made sure I forwarded the Static IP of the BCS on the primary router. And checked my ports 80 is open.

From a remote connection I punch in my IP and it opens the Login page to my Windows Home Server. It also uses port 80. Is there a way to open the BCS and not the WHS?
RiverCityBrewer

Post by RiverCityBrewer »

On most home routers and or modems, port 80 inbound is not enabled. The most obvious place to look is on your router... most d-link, linksys, netgear, etc have a config page where you can set port forwarding. Basically what you need to do is set the port forwarding for port 80 to point to your internal IP address (usually a 192.168.*.*) Let me know if you need more help... I do network security for a living so I can walk you through just about anything. If you are still having problems post your internal router model and your broadband modem model.

Good Luck,

Joe

**Edit - Sorry I've been drinking and didn't see that your already tried forwarding your port 80... in that case, pick a different port (8080 will work) and forward port 8080 to your BCS. Now when you punch in your external address put a :8080 after it like this 111.111.111.111:8080 and this should force the connection to the BCS directly.
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

Thanks Joe, I thought maybe I'd have to forward a port different than the WHS port. I would not have know about adding the port number to the IP though.
Now I wish I had enabled Remote Administration to my router. It will have to wait until I get home to change, then wait until I get remote again to test.

Oh well, this is more just because I can do it than need to do it exercise.

Thanks Again,
Ron

Any suggested websites for network configuration?
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

OK I think I have my Remote Access set up and working. Now I'm wondering what to expect? When someone remotes into the BCS will there be a login page? Or will the BCS Main Page open? Will they be able to make changes? Does this leave a huge hole in my LAN?
RiverCityBrewer

Post by RiverCityBrewer »

I'm afraid that I might not have been complete with my instructions on the port forwarding... make sure that in your network configuration on your router that you tell it to route inbound requests from port 8080 of your outside IP address to the internal IP of your BCS on port 80. As long as you have enabled authentication on the BCS you will be prompted with a login popup box, and while it doesn't use an SSL connection I don't see any issues with exposing your internal network. If the user logs in as the administrator account they will be able to make changes, however, if they login as the observer account they can only view. If you would like, setup the observer account under the System Settings in the BCS and I'll try and login and I'll let you know if its working. Just PM me the info.

Joe