Remote Access

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
TrickyDick
Bot?: No

Re: Remote Access

Post by TrickyDick »

Hi,

I am interested in setting up remote access for my BCS 460. It's not running the most current firmware, but is only only one version behind. I need some help.

One potential conflict I have is that another networked device uses port 8080. It is port 8080 I think I am supposed to be using. I have created a dummy port to try and get around the shared 8080 issue. So what I did is to create a port forwarding rule in my router. It will forward incoming port 6969 to internal address 10.10.10.69:8080, which is the fixed address of my BCS. I would think I would then be able to type the wan port on my home plus the port 6969 and it should connect to the BCS? I have enabled authentication as a safety measure. What I had done is write down the syntax on how to include the login information with the IP address and port when I type it into a browser. Unfortunately I lost the appear I had that written on...

Does anybody know about that authentication syntax of how to type in a browser .. the IP address plus : plus port number, but what comes next for the authentication I have forgotten.

Does anybody know if my port workaround should work or not?

Thanks,

TD
bighefty

Post by bighefty »

I think that you would just be able to type in 10.10.10.69:6969. That should then bring up a window to enter the credentials.

I could be wrong though... just offering up a suggestion.
TrickyDick

Post by TrickyDick »

From home it's no problem, and the port number is unnecessary. From outside my LAN, is what I'm trying to figure out, especially how to enter the authentication information into the address bar of the browser.

Thanks

TD
bighefty

Post by bighefty »

Hmmm.... I have mine setup to forward from outside too but I'm not at home to check exactly what port I'm using. Seems to me that if you have your router set up to forward port 6969 to port 8080 of the BCS it should work. I'd have to mess with it a bit to see if I'm correct or not.

Check that.... I just remote logged into my router and found that I have the BCS set for port 8081 using both protocols.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I don't believe you can enter the auth data in the URL. You have to enter it in the password dialog.

The forwarding you have setup should work. Sometimes testing a redirect from inside your network doesn't work if your router doesn't support a loopback connection. Try it from your phone with WiFi turned off on the phone so you're going through your carriers network.
TrickyDick

Post by TrickyDick »

I've tried from my work office and couldn't connect. I am suspecting that I have inadvertently turned on a firewall or something, because my PLEX remote streaming isn't working at the moment either.

I had thought there was a way to include the authentication inline with the URL, and had written it down somewhere but have since lost it. It should normally open a login page when connecting remotely? I would imagine that it would require authentication from either inside or outside the local network if that feature was enabled, so maybe I don't have that enabled as it requires no authentication to access from my home LAN based PCs.

Regardless, I think May have turned on some firewall or something recently preventing me from accessing the BCS as remotely.

Well it's definitely not letting me through. I'll try to troubleshoot tonight. Does the interface work with an iPhone using the wireless carrier to attempt access from an external IP address?

Also, in the router port forwarding, do I need to forward UDP, TCP, or both?
I'll get this bugger working sooner or later...

TD
TrickyDick

Post by TrickyDick »

So it seems I didn't properly apply the port forwarding rule. I also seem to have not properly setup the BCS port. The system settings show it uses port 80. I am a bit reluctant to change the port to something different and end up bricking it. I'll try changing the port forwarding rule to go from 6969 to 80 and see what happens.

TD

edit- Bingo! That did the trick. Now to configure authentication!
1ds19

Post by 1ds19 »

Hello,

I'm having some trouble accessing my BCS controller (V3.7) from outside of my local network. I'm using a router flashed with DD-WRT as a client bridge (which has static ip of 192.168.2.2), I have set my BCS controller's static ip to 192.168.2.3, and have updated the BCS communication settings to accommodate port 8080. My main router (a Bell router with static IP 192.168.2.1) has been set up with a port forwarding rule for port 8080, and device IP 192.168.2.3. I haven't forwarded any ports on my DD-WRT router.

I'm able to access my BCS on my local network at 192.168.2.3:8080, but cannot access it via my ISP-assigned IP & port (i.e., xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080). Am I doing anything wrong?

I've noticed that my main Bell router is not showing the BCS controller in its "connected devices" list (192.168.2.3 is not shown as a connected device, but my DD-WRT router's IP is shown).

Thanks in advance for your help!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like the DD-WRT is functioning correctly in bridge mode since you can access the BCS just fine on the local LAN. My guess would be something either on the Bell router or it's possible your default gateway address on the BCS is incorrect. Check the default gateway and make sure it is set for the Bell routers address, not the DD-WRT one. This setting would have no affect on the local LAN communication, but would cause failure for external access.
1ds19

Post by 1ds19 »

Hi JonW,

First, I want to thank you for your response. I've been reading your posts on automated breweries for the better part of a year while designing my own automated rig. Thanks for continually sharing your wisdom! I did have the BCS gateway properly set to the Bell router at some point, but I believe I didn't follow the proper reset protocol on the BCS and then switched the gateway to my DD-WRT router and then tried port forwarding on both routers. Anyways, it seems to be working now. Thanks!