static IP

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
banjolawyer
Bot?: No

static IP

Post by banjolawyer »

Yesterday I set up my BCS for the first time, and had no problem accessing it by typing in the BCS IP address as discovered by the BCS System Finder utility.

I also set up port forwarding on my router to the IP that had been assigned to the BCS and was able to access it by entering my externalIP:port address.

I had Enable DHCP checked in Ethernet Settings on the BCS.

Today, a different IP has been assigned to the BCS, so the IP:port I was using yesterday no longer works.

Question: I want to set a static IP on the BCS, and I really want to do it right the first time, because if I screw it up (by creating a conflict?), it will be a real pain to get the BCS out of my enclosure and hard reset it and then reconnect the wires (I've got a bunch of 'em and it's a tight squeeze). So what is the safest thing for me to do? Should I set an odd static IP that is high up in my internal network's IP range, for example 192.168.0.187, which would be a very unlikely number to be dynamically assigned by the router to a device on the network. Or should I just uncheck DHCP and leave the BCS' default static IP of 169.254.0.63 ?
brewdude
Bot?: No

Re: static IP

Post by brewdude »

A couple of ways to do that.

You should be able to set your DHCP on your router for a range of IP's (192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.99) then you can use number greater than 99 for static IP's.

Another way I found on my new netgear router is you can permanently assign a DHCP address to a particular device, this way the device can be left in DHCP mode, but when it connects to my router, it always gets the same IP.

Or do like you said, and use a high number like 192.168.0.254, knowing that you'll never hit that number.

Rick.