starting a process after power up without web UI

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
clearwaterbrewer
Bot?: No

starting a process after power up without web UI

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

Is the following how I would start the main brewing process without going to the web UI when first powering up the unit?
[given process 0 is working, and Din 7 is defined in this process as a 'continue' button]

System Settings --> Misc --> Proc7 Force Run at Power up

Process Setup - Process 7 --> name: bootstrap
State 0
State exit conditions --> Enable Exit Condition 0
Input Din 0 is 'ON' --> Proc OFF
Misc State Properties --> Spawn other Processes --> Spawn Process 0

The issue I am having is that unless I create State1 and go to it when leaving State0, (instead of shutting the process off) Proc 0 does not spawn when leaving state 0

This is what I did to solve, create a State 1 with a timer for 5 delay to power off:
Process Setup - Process 7 --> State 1
Timers Used in this state --> Timer 0 --> enable --> 5 seconds
State exit conditions --> Enable Exit Condition 0
Time 0 is '<=0' --> Proc OFF

Is all this necessary to have a button start a process after powering up the unit?

-mike
JonW
Site Admin

Re: starting a process after power up without web UI

Post by JonW »

Unfortunately, yes, that is all required. Spawning or stopping processes from a state require you to actually exit the state.

Also, on the 462, there is a bug that prevents force-run of processes 5-7. Not sure if you're using a 460 and this is no issue, but for me it is.
clearwaterbrewer

Thanks for the heads up about the bug!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Out of curiosity, why are you looking to have Proc7 start Proc0? Why not just set Proc0 as the force-run?
clearwaterbrewer

I think that I really do not want that process starting every time I power it up... would be nice to have a pseudo-process running that you could assign an input/proc pair

other thoughts..

option 1 - yes, have the process start, but add in a pre-start state that requires the continue button to be pressed to actually start heating water.

larger scale option: from state 0, pressing button 1/2/3 takes you to state 1/2/3, each of those states sounds an alarm like the baggage conveyor at the airport for 5 seconds, then exits to state 0, spawning their respective process upon exit..

now to find one of those big red 'easy' buttons to start my brew day ;-)
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

clearwaterbrewer wrote:I think that I really do not want that process starting every time I power it up... would be nice to have a pseudo-process running that you could assign an input/proc pair

other thoughts..

option 1 - yes, have the process start, but add in a pre-start state that requires the continue button to be pressed to actually start heating water.
This is doable in one process. Use the Din0 option like you outlined above AND start a timer in state 0. If Din0 is ON, then continue to the next state in the process. Also set exit condition of 5 seconds to stop proc in state0. If the switch is on when the proc starts it will immediately go to your required state and if it isn't, then it will time out and stop in 5 seconds.

I use State0 on most of my processes to initiate countdown and elapsed timers as well as to do some conditional jumps. This also lets me jump to various states within the process and to jump back to state1 as if I am restarting the process without clearing my elapsed or countdown timers.
clearwaterbrewer wrote: larger scale option: from state 0, pressing button 1/2/3 takes you to state 1/2/3, each of those states sounds an alarm like the baggage conveyor at the airport for 5 seconds, then exits to state 0, spawning their respective process upon exit..
The next version of the firmware should have an option to setup a designated alarm output port. This will allow you to do what you are describing. I currently do this by spawning an unused process thats only purpose is to activate the hardware alarm. I then have a pushbutton (Din0) that stops the process. I use this to alert me to hop additions, sparge process changes, etc. It really helps to keep me on task.
clearwaterbrewer wrote: now to find one of those big red 'easy' buttons to start my brew day ;-)
When you find this, please let us know. :)
Baron Ken

Post by Baron Ken »

JonW wrote:Unfortunately, yes, that is all required. Spawning or stopping processes from a state require you to actually exit the state.
Just encountered this last night while setting up my programming. Is it possible that a firmware update could fix this issue (having the state exit before ending the process, thus able to spawn other process(es)), or are there repercussions I'm not seeing?
ECC

Post by ECC »

Yeah, I think we can work that in. ProcOff could (should) technically exit the state, triggering Alarms/kill/spawns.
clearwaterbrewer

clearwaterbrewer wrote: now to find one of those big red 'easy' buttons to start my brew day ;-)
When you find this, please let us know. :)[/quote]

Here you go....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-u2YG1e-1g