Stainless Steel Float Switch

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
np0x
Bot?: No

Re: Stainless Steel Float Switch

Post by np0x »

The alternative is $109 at morebeer and has hindered me from getting any float switches into my system, this will put me over the top.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16547/ ... oat_Switch

Thanks!
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

bsfixit wrote:That would be great to be able to put notches on that copper pipe. you could set it to fill the HLT with certain amount of water. like 3.45 gallons for the mash in. Then adjust it for sparge water amounts, In increments of .5 gallons. In addition have another one just like posted above. to turn off the heaters when the water is low in the HLT.
gbrewer? what is the SS metal slab with the SS round tube mounted on it, with the copper pipe running down the middle. And where did you get it. EDIT: sorry I did not see your disclaimer at the bottom of the switch gbrewer..

Its all brilliant !!!
It is a custom built bracket with a stainless steel 1/2 inch coupling in the middle. Very simple design.

I want to automate my process from heating the HLT to mash in. That is the most boring process in my opinion. Waiting for the strike water to heat is painful. (like watching bowling on television)

My thought is using the float switch to shut off pump one when the HLT is empty. The HLT is heated to strike water temperature. Once the temperature is reached, it kicks on the pump for mash in. Once the HLT is empty based on the float valve, the pump is shut off. Providing you started with the appropriate amount of strike water, this would completely automate the first few processes.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

The second process would be in the MLT. It would turn on and off the pump to keep the levels appropriate at mash out / sparge. The float could be adjustable and just sit about the mash.

I ran this float for a while as a direct controller of the pump (via a relay). The problem I had was the pump was constantly turned on and off. I think the BCS could eliminate this problem by having the float trigger pump activation for a short period of time. Perhaps trigger pump for 30 seconds if float is tripped?
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

you can set pump control duty cycle, but I dont think its as long as 30 seconds. So I assume you fly sparge by your description?
I still just batch sparge. I do recirculate the wort and sparge to make it sparkling clear before I pump wort into the kettle
Brett
np0x

Post by np0x »

The duty cycle is a percentage of a 10 second window that a output is on/off. Sounds like the float switches range is too small...The bcs could have a sparge process that does exactly what you are saying, one state would be waiting for the float switch to get triggered, it would then go to another state that would do exactly like you said, go for 30(or whatever) seconds and then go back to the original state, if more water was needed it would just jump right back into the countdown state anew....
slimer

Post by slimer »

I just picked up a switch that was plastic and made for high temps from McMaster.

50195K94 POLYPROPYLENE VERT-MOUNT LIQUID-LEVEL SWITCH, W/SLOSH GUARD,1/8" NPT MALE, 100 MAX PSI,1-1/2"DIA
np0x

Post by np0x »

let us know how your $16.77 switch works out! (I was curious how much it cost, thought I would save the others the trouble :).
slimer

Post by slimer »

Thought I would give it a try. It works on low voltage and would just be more of a sensor/trigger.
np0x

Post by np0x »

yeah, i need some float switches in my life too.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I just received my 2 stainless steel float switches, yesterday. I need to find a mounting system for them ..
Brett